Maranello House Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Stuart's Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Fiat 127 Sport restoration thread

Please feel free to post any comments etc regarding my 127 restoration on this thread.
You can follow the restoration by following the link from the main page.
My goal is to have it finished in time for the classic shows which will start in April 2006. Here's hoping.

Re: Fiat 127 Sport restoration thread

Hi Stuart, I have never actually seen this car but I am aware of it. I am mates with the previous owner Mr Walsh, in fact I sold him the Palio alloys it now has. Looks to be a good tidy example do you intend to make it a concourse winner ?

I am now in New Zealand for 3 years on a contract. Unfortunately only mark one 127 were officially imported to NZ. However there are a handful of mark 2 + 3. I am just about to finish a deal which will bring me a 1979 mark two.

It is missing some parts I wondered if you think it is possible to have the external rubber/plastic mouldings which go on the wings, doors and rear quarters remanufactured. As you know there mouldings are specific to the Sport. The metal work at the back would be easy it’s just the black rubber/plastic part which would be tricky.

What do you think? I’d be keen to split cost with you and have quite a few sets made.

All the best with the project. I’ve owned twelve 127’s and just can’t seem to shake them.

Regards,
Roger

Hiya Roger. Thanks for jumping in. Unfortunately the cars not the one Neil had. (I am close friends with Neil) and had hoped to get it off him at some point but he sold it before I had the funds gathered.
NZ is a long way to go for a 127 but good to see they are about.
I wouldn't know were to start to get new mouldings made up. I would think to that the cost of making some would cost more than selling them on. If there was enough interest from other 127 owners then we could look into it further. Best to keep an eye on Ebay at the mo though. If I hear of any I'll let you know.

Hi Stuart, I will keep any eye on e-bay and see what comes of it.

Good luck with the restoration, I thought it was Walshy’s car because of the full length sun roof. A rare factory option on the Sport.

All the best,
Roger

Always interested to see your restoration pictures. I now live in Tampa, Florida, and would dearly love to have one of the orange sports. Reminiscing my teenage years! I actually visited Neil on a trip home last year to see his car, with an aim to buy and ship it...But he sold it ....Oh well...I thought your car was Neil's also....

If you ever come across one for sale, let me know....Obviously a slim chance

Brian

Hi Brian. I would say the chances of finding a 127 were you are would be very slim indeed. I certainly will keep an eye out for one for you and sure please keep in touch via this site.
Neils a really good friend (don't tell him I said that, he won't be able to get his head in his 850 ) and I don't think it'll be to long before he's back in another 127 Sport as well. We're arranging for him, Nigel and a few others to come over to N.I to a show in September so if your home maybe you could come as well. The more the better.
Talk to you soon i hope.

Just a quick update on the restoration. Things slowed down for a few weeks because of a little bit of illness and once better I had to help 2 friends cars on the road, but I'm back in working at the 127 now. There isn't much to tell on the restoration page at the mo as I'm now rubbing down all the panels and taking out the dents. I want to have the panels as straight as I can get them which takes a while and is a slow proccess. I'm also gathering up some spares for the future in case supplies dry up.
I really need the plastic 70HP badges that go on the doors so if any of you have these please let me know and I will arrange to buy them from you. They're really th only things missing from the car.

I got a "70 HP" badge. Boy am I happy about that one. A very kind gentleman called Rob Miller came to my rescue and dug one out of his bits. Iv'e had a real swet on about not finding one.
Thank you Rob, the car wouldn't have been complete without it

Re: Fiat 127 Sport restoration thread Brake servo question?

Hi

Excellent job on your 127 Sport, looking very good indeed.

I noticed that it has a brake servo fitted, I am building a 127 at the moment to Sport spec, engine is sport, suspension is sport although sadly it will never quite be the genuine article. I have the Sport servo and bracket but am at a loss as to plumbing the thing in. Any assistance you might be able to offer would be much appreciated. The connection from the master cylinder to the servo is the most confusing..
Hope you enjoy your Sport in the future and I am very envious of your garage!

Regards and thanks in anticipation

Bingspeed

Hi Bingspeed.
Sorry for being slow in responding. I'll have a look at the way my cars setup is and will come back to you about it.
Stu

Right Bing. The master cylinder at the brake pedal feeds into the servo. The servo then feeds the brakes. So Pipe from the master cylinder to the servo then a pipe to a 3 way connector that then feeds the 2 front brakes. The second pipe from the servo feeds to the rear of the car and connects to another 3 way connector which in turn feeds out to the rear brakes.
There's a vacume pipe off to the engine but for the life of me I can't remembers were it goes to. I'll check the engine to see were it attatches. Hope this helps.

Just remembered, the rubber vacumm pipe feeds to the inlet manifold.

A very kind gentleman called Bruno has contacted me with a full set of Sport decals. I'm very pleased at this and am just waiting on the coming in the post. They are original Fiat ones so another little bit closer to have the car near original.

Well the decals arrived from Bruno and they are spot on.
I'm currently working on getting the engine cleaned up and painted. It's looking well and I will host photos in the restoration when it's finished.

One thing I have noticed since my 127 came along is that interest in these little cars seems to be growing more and more. This can only be a good thing. I do hope this extends to the basic 127's as well. I know of one CL being restored back to it's original condition..

I'm rather pleased with myself. I have been slowly getting the engine cleaned and painted as I was fed up to be honest working on car bodywork this last couple of months, and got most of the engine done today,(See the photos in the resto). Now that it's as far on as I can do for now I will hopefully over the next few weeks get back into sorting out the rest of the body. There is only tidying up of little bits left to do before it's time to start primming. All being well I will have everything ready for painting by christmas.

This is going to be a work of art! Can't wait to see her on the road. I can't even imagine the work that has gone into it

Thanks Graham. I'm not sure about a work of art but apart from having the Palio wheels it should be very close to original again.

Made another nice little purchase off Ebay today. An original Fiat 127 keyring. It will be be a nice touch when the car is on show.

I'm getting closer day by day to having the shell ready for painting so must admit am getting a bit excited now. The engine coming up as well as it did has gave me a real boost.

Bought a "New" radiator for the 127 today. I was p;anning to have the old one re-corred but I think this is a better way to go.
I may have to move my thoughts on having the car ready for May as things have realy slowed now

hi stuart.seen your resto,very nice and a dedicated job well done will be a very nice car when you are finished,did the car belong to lee griffiths of manchester,if so the one we are restoring was also bought from lee
regards
seamus

Hi Seamus. Nice to have you along and thank you for the kind comments. Yes the car did belong to Lee so we have something in common.
I got your email but was just about to answer it after I checked my site.
I'll also stick your wanted bits over on the 127 site as well so we can see about getting you sorted.
I know Lee was advertising door mirrors about a month ago so He may still have them.

hi stuart.thank you for putting ad in the wanted side of site,already checked with lee and they were gone,ah well lets hope for the luck of the irish.
seamus

I managed to get a little bit done today. So I'm confident that if I get one good day I will be ready to put the high build primer on. I got the last of any imperfections out today "I hope".
It's going well.

Right as I have been home most of the week I have been able to get all of the body panels primed in Spray putty and have started to flatten the engine bay down first.
I find the spray putty gets into all the areas and is very easy to rub down to a very smooth finish. I use 600 wet&dry as it gives a finish with no scratches but also allows enough grip for the paint. I reckon about 3 weeks work is in flattening all the primer back..

hi stuart.your resto is coming along nicely your time and dedication to detail will really pay off.just a few questions,after the zinc primer what type and product of primer did you use also what type of paint woul you reccomend bearing in mind we are fairly new to the spraying game also the quanties we would require,much appreciate your help
regards
seamus

Hi Seamus. I'll get you the name but it's a High build spray putty. As I had also brush painted the entire engine bay with stone chip I had a rough finish so had to use plenty of Spray putty so I could rub it back to a smooth finish.
So far I have used almost 5 litres of the stuff. The beauty about it is that it's very easy for the diy'r to flatten with 600 W&D. It takes out all the little imperfections that may have been left behind with odinary primer.
I'm going to be using 2 pack paint, again at least 5 litres as I will be spraying the engine bay, inside the bonnet and inside the shell. I'm sure you know that you need a good charcoal mask as the 2 pack is dangerous to use. Best people to speak to there about it is your local paint supplier. As my car is Orange it's a solid paint, no lacquer needed. If you were painting a metalic colour I would use a 2 pack clear over base. Spray on the colour which is the base and then lacquer over the base. Takes a little longer but gives a good finish.
Once the paints on I flatten it all back again with 1200 or 1500 W&D, then buff it with G7 Fracela and finally polish it with trade polish. This does take a while but I find it takes the sharpness out of the paint and gives a better appearance for older cars.
There's some debate that cellulose has been fazed out but if you can get it and you don't have all the gear required to use 2 pack it's good for older cars. It's easy to work with but softer so gets damaged easier. That's why I use the 2 pack. All those lovely little kids at shows who just have to run their fingers along the side of the car
Have you ever sprayed a car before ? Theres loads more to do like rubbing the car down with tack rags before painting, never paint using 2 different types of paintie cellulose base and 2 pack paint.
I could go on for ever.

hi stuart. thanks for the advice.never actually sprayed a complete car,but like you say it takes lot of time nd i would like to get it as right as i can our car is also orange and so far we have replaced the front panel ns wing ,sill and repaired the arch, the o/s is not as bad just needs new wimg and to patch the sill,
regards
seamus

Well that's the first of the paint on the car. Engine bay, inside the bonnet and the wheel arches done. Although I will be giving the arches another couple of coats towards the end so there's plenty on them.

that's the bonnet now painted If the rest of the car goes as well I'll be very pleased. One hicup though is my compressor seems to be on it's way out. It's not holding air to long which means painting is going to be slow.. Time to start saving for a ew compressor now

That's the shell now painted. I had a few problems with the compressor so it hasn't came out just as smooth as I would have liked but it will smooth down with 1500 W&D along with a buff with G3. Just the doors and tailgate to paint now and it will be rebuild time.

Hi Stuart, your car looks great well done so far, cant wait to see it at one of this years shows.

Hi Ed. Hope to have it finished in time for Kilbroney but we'll see. I've also took this urge to sell it when I get it finished. I'm sure the urge will change a few times between now and then though.

Just realised I have 99 photos of the restoration on the site so far.

Halfway there then

That's over the 100 photos of the restoration so far now. The rest will be of the rebuild.

Hi Stuart

I have followed your page for a long while and thoroughly enjoyed the comprehensive, and loving restoration of this fabulous little car, being a previous owner of a couple of 127's ( 900 S mk2 and an Orange mk2 Sport ). I am a huge Fiat fan, mostly smaller cars ie 127 mk2,Panda mk1 etc,and of Italian marques in general,your site has reminded me of a lot of fond memories. Would I be right Stuart in saying that your 127 was Lee Griffith's former car ? and also Seamus ( Mannix )does this car look familiar ( only guess work mind you, reading between the lines )
hope this link work's, let me know if not.

Look forward to exchanging a few stories etc, in future, keep up the good work, and cool site

Bye for now Chris

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Chris127Sport/Servalot/127Sport3.jpg

hi chris,just looked at photobucket and yes we have that car in the garage at the moment and it is in a sorry state,rust has taken over big time,but we are still confident of putting it back on the road just it is going to take a little bit longer than originally planned,any chance that you would have some sport mirrors.
regards
seamus mannix

p.s. stuart a stunning restoration the car is a credit to your ability and dedication.

Hi Seamus

When me and the 127 parted she still had the original mirrors on,I think the guy who acquired it from me,( Lee Griffith's ) must have put them on his own 127Sport, as he didn't have originals fitted to his I don't think. so i'm Sorry I can't help with the mirror's.

Wish you all the patience and perciverence you need to get the 127 back on the road, and look forward to updates as and when you have time

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Chris127Sport/Servalot/127Sport2.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Chris127Sport/Servalot/127Sport-2.jpg

Cya soon Chris

Hi Chris. Thank you for the kind words. Yes I bought the car off Lee. It's almost done now. I to am looking forward to seeing it outside.

Seamus, you'll have to start a photographic record to when you start your car. Or maybe you should sell it to me

hi stuart. to be honest with you i bought the 127 off of gavin to reshell the 127 as it would be the most cost effective way of doing things and my knowledge of welding would not stretch to such a major job, the 127 i got from gavin is really mint so far the only rust was a very small hole in the window frame on drivers door and i have the car 75% sanded down,it will not be a genuine sport but never the less it will be a very good replica and in silver.you have set a very high standard
regards
seamus mannix

Hi All

( Long Story ) The dates and exact times have all been forgotten !! ( memory span of a Goldfish )

A good while after the birth of our first child ( 1990 ), my wife was looking to go back to work, and with me working shift's we needed another car, just a runner for me to get to and from work etc, and Mr's J would use the Tipo 1.4 DGT ( which we bought as a year old bargain ). By conicidence one of her friends at work had just bought a new car and was getting rid of her banger !! It was a 1978 Fiat 127 900c in a dull green colour, ( tiny boot lid version, not hatchback ) and they were just gonna run it down to the local breakers yard, omg !! We agreed to go and have a look at it, her friend said we could have it for nothing, it still had 8mth's MOT, and a few month's tax, and after having a look underneath and around the car, we literally had to force her to take £30 quid, more for our conscience than anything ...lol. The only thing to my untrained eye, was corrosion to the passenger side of the bonnet,and door bottom, the car had been waxoyled from new, and at her first MOT under our ownership my friend said she was in exceptional condition underneath.

Over the few years I owned her I gave her a very modest facelift, replaced bonnet and passenger door, stripped out most easily replaceable bit's, and a friend resprayed her " Pillar Box Red ", also I got a Sport grille and front spoiler, and bonnet scoop from the breakers yard, and finished it all off with standard Uno wheels in anthracite grey !!! a very humble but very tasteful, little racer look-a-like , I got a few very good years of reliable service out of her, and held up the " my first Fiat flag " to the rest of the Ford obsessed family... LOL.. eventually I passed her on to one of my sisters, who also used her for a good few years before changing car's.

end of part 1

are you sitting comfortably , then I will begin Part 2.

The reason I had fallen for the 127 was from when I was about 14, my Dad was helping a mate move house, they used a rented van, and I was helping move some smaller item's with his wife in her relatively new car, it was a Mk1 127 in Sunburst Orangey/Red, the size and nippy nature of the car, sound of the engine etc, and little details were etched in my brain......lol.

So, a few more years had passed, and we were a 2 Tipo family by then with 3 kid's, as I spread the Fiat word more relatives got the Fiat bug, one of my sisters was looking for a Tipo at the time, so I was trawling the local ad's and Auto Trader etc, and that is when I spotted the Orange 127 Sport, a cunning plan was hatched let my sister buy my Tipo and I get to own a 127 Sport ....... WOW ....., I called the seller and they said it had gone. NO !! frantic pacing about, trying to think of what to do ? so I called the seller up again and asked if she would let me have the new owners number, whilst all the time trying to reassure her I wasn't some nutcase...lol, thankfully she agreed , next step was to call the new owner up and persuade him with a little extra cash to part with his new car ( I think he paid £275 ). He listened to my tale of woe and we agreed to meet ( he was an Alfa fan, and bought the 127 out of curiosity, and on a whim ). We chatted car's for a long while, and then I pounced in with my offer £400, I had to make it tempting for him, but not ridiculous for me. We shook on this strange deal, and I was beaming ear to ear, all the way home

Over the years I owned the car, it gave me so much pleasure, and most of the time always got favourable comments from complete strangers, and friends alike.

Not entirely sure why, but we eventually bought a larger main "family" car Fiat Tempra SW, to go with the Tipo ( kids getting older/larger etc ) and the 127 Sport became a Dad's sunday drive out car, unfortunately ( not really unfortunate ) family activities, work and all the other things that get in the way sometimes, mean't that, time spent in the 127 was getting very limited and I reached a very painful descision that after all the great time's we'd had, I would rather see her go to someone who was going to enjoy using her, than being stuck in a garage ( especially at her age..lol ).

So with heavy heart, I placed a few ad's around Auto Italia, Auto Trader etc, specifically stating that the car would go to an Italian Car lover, and that she would be used regularily. The car was free to anyone who could look after her and give her a good home.......YES FREE !!!, I new she wanted some job's doing to get her back on the road, but didn't realise as Seamus has found the extent of work required. The only premise I put to this give away was that I had first refusal if he was to sell it years down the line ( sentimental, more than practical request ). So Lee came up in his 127 Sport to look at it, and collected the car a few days later. Very sad time for me the next few day's/week's, but in the cars best interest.

A few month's had passed and a brother in law called round, and said is that your old 127 on eBay ???, sure enough it was ( not really happy I didn't even get a courtesy call from Lee, even though it would have been impractical and totally irational to have got it back again, would have been nice though if he'd just dropped me a line etc ).

Thats the end of my 127 involvement for now at least , i'm really sorry to hear about all the work ( re shelling etc ) that your going to have to undertake Seamus, I hope you continue with it till the end.

Sorry for the epic posting, hope it shed's a little light on the history for you

Cya soon Chris

Good story Chris. I'm looking forward to part2.

Your all going to find out soon enough but it looks like I've the car sold to another 127 enthusiast. So after I get the MK1 Panda done I might be in the market for another 127 Sport. Seamus if you do decide not to kill the rusty Sport and want to pass it on, send some photos, you never know, I might be able to save it

Excellent story into your 127 history. So Seamus has the car now and it's the rusty one. Seamus is it that bad it can't be sorted ?

hi stuart.well as you know i bought gavin bushbys 127 off your for sales page to reshell the sport as the work needed was too much for us to do,it needed.2 wings,2 sills,front panel,wheel arches,the floor underneeth was in pretty poor shape as well.mechanically the car is fine as we were driving it around the house.but ultimatly due to time. cost and knowing my own capabilities we have taken the reshelling option.while to the purists it will not be genuine all mk2 hatchbacks used the same shells and every thing from the sport will be transferred over or renewed,
again you have done a remarkable restoration and i will be sad to see the car go as i enjoyed following the resto,one has to admire you patience and dedication to the project,for you have rebuilt the sport better than it was originally built.
regards
seamus mannix
p.s just bought a new sticker set off of e-bay. only need mirrors now

My 127 Sport restoration is almost finished now and I think it's came out ok. Others who have seen it say it looks well to so I must have did it almost right. It's taken 2 years to complete but I've enjoyed "almost" every moment of it.
I never sat out to turn the car into a concours winner but I did want it up to a high standard. I think I've managed this but I couldn't have done so without the help of others (and Ebay).

It's always dangerous to name names for fear of missing someone out but I really couldn't have got the car to the standard I wanted it without the help of 4 people in particular, Neil Walsh, Ben Bemrose, Chris Connolly and Rob Miller. The 4 of of you have been a lot of help, both technical and in supplying me with good parts to put on the car. You may not think it but you were my insperation, and I honestly believe I couldn't have got as far without it. Your encouragement alone was of great help. I hope I can be of help to all of you in the future.

I have now sold the car (although it was never my intention to do so), to Paul McGlinchy and I only let it go because I know he is a 127 fanatic and he will do everything in his power to maintain the car for years to come.

I've made some good friends from this project and have had words of encouragement from people all over the world who followed the restoration on my web site, which has humbled me. To me it's proof again that the Fiat community is a very friendly and helpful one.
My next project is a MK1 Fiat Panda, the 2nd or 3rd oldest in the UK so I hope I make as good as friends as I have with the 127.

Thank you all.

I've decided that since I put so much effort into the restoration on the site, I will not remove it as it may be of some help to others in the future. So I have split it into 2 and moved it to the right hand side of the main page. I will tidy it up when I get the chance.

Biggest day of all today. At 14.09 the little car passed it's MOT. Not one single fault. In fact the comment the tester made was that the car was probably better than a new one.

That's 2 years of hard work now over.

I'm really pleased that it's officially fnished but obviously sad to as now it's off to it's new home.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me with getting it to were it is.

THANK YOU STUART.That day finally arrived on 22 of november 2007 when i went to collect my new orange 127 sport of stuartmania motors.I had been for a test run in it a couple of weeks before and was i pleased with my new purchase, i sure was i wanted to take it home there and then.The story began way back in the summer of 1983 when i bought my first car,a blue 127L 903cc. I had just finnished school and started to work part time at the local filling station so needed to get mobile. Why fiat you may ask? well my father had a few 127's and so had a few of my uncles and dads first new car was a 128cl,so it was in my blood from an early age.I bought it of a local car dealer for 1000 old irish pounds with a loan of my girlfriends aunt.I had it for just over a year, been all over ireland in it. During that year i had put on new tyres,a battery,brakes all round,mudflaps,spot lights,a new exhaust and had under sealed the bottom of the whole car.It was way better than when i had bought it. So why did i sell it? to be cont

Your very welcome Paul. I'm glad your happy with it, and I know you'll look after it.
Looking forward to part 2 of your post

part 2.
I sold my 127 because i needed a van as i had started to cut lawns during the day.I sold it for 1700 old irish pounds.So ever since that i said i would love to own another 127 someday.Then in 2004 the factory i worked in closed,so i decided to spend some of the money on a 127.I found it very hard to get one in ireland as most had rusted away.I did get one a 900l but it needed a lot of work so someone said to me to try ebay and classic car books so the search began but it wasnt until october 2006 that i finally got one a gold palio.I bought it of a guy in sailsbury near southampton and went over in november to collect it.Drove it home,450 miles and not a bother,them one came up for sale near manchester so had my friend neil go and have a look at it for me,thanks neil it was a silver 1300gt so that was number 3 went over in early may 2007 to get it.I had been watching stuarts orange 127 sport on his site so i wanted it he did sell it to me eventually so i had number 4 . THANKS AGAIN STUART, ITS A LITTLE SCREAMER,thats the story so far 4 127's ,will i buy again only time will tell.I use the 1300gt as my daily driver, the palio is in need of a respray, the sport is for special days and i hope to get the 900l back on the road when i get my new garage finished.

1 2