USS Kitty Hawk Message Board

Welcome to our new message board, a place to connect with long lost shipmates.

USS Kitty Hawk Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AGENT ORANGE

STILL LOOKING FOR ANYONE WHO REMEMBERS SEEING OR HANDLEING 55 GALLON DRUMS OF AGENT ORANGE ABOARD KITTY HAWK STORED IN HANGAR BAY 2 BETWEEN1964T01967 OR MAYBE BEYOND THOSE YEARS.THANKS FELLOW SHIPMATES BILL. TORREGROSSA V-3 DIVISION

Re: AGENT ORANGE

You are right on the Agent Orange. Talk to me on the email.

Bill & Jim,
I served on the USS John S. McCain (DL-3) which operated in the South China Sea with the Kitty Hawk during December 1963. It is my belief that we were affected by Agent Organge herbicide. I now have all of the symptoms: acute peripheral neuropathy, type II diabetes mellitus and prostate problems.
I am attempting to learn what operations the Kitty Hawk and McCain were engaged during December 1963 and the general location (longitude & latitude) of those operations. Any assistance from anyone will be appreciated.
John

Last year my father-in-law had a heart attack and they found lung cancer. On Feb. 8th of this year, he had a seizure brought on by a brain tumor. He had brain surgery last week and they gave him 6 months to live. All the symptoms he has had are Agent Orange symptoms, but he was denied disability for it because he did not set foot on land. My in laws are very poor and I am trying to do everything possible to help them, and this is having an extreme effect on their financial situation.

My Father-in-law served on the Kitty Hawk from 62-66. I am grasping at straws here, but any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

If you remember, or know of anything dealing with Agent Orange or herbicides and the Kitty Hawk in those years, please help.

He does remember working with the 55 galon drums, but he didn't know what was in them. He served on the Kitty Hawk from 62-66.

Thank you very much,

Joe Jensen

here is my e-mail address I put it on a different line in the origianal message
So out of all the men who served aboard the HAWK BETWEEN 1963-1967 only a few remember that we hAd AGENT ORANGE ABOARD

Re: Re: AGENT ORANGE

YO BIG I REMEMBER AGENT ORANGE IF THE REST DON'T THAN THEY MUST HAVE ALTIMERS OR SOMETHING LIKE....

I was on board '72-'76 and I have the syptoms also !
I remember 55 gal drums marked confiditial or some
such .
Makes me wonder .

To All Here:

I'm also looking for anyone that knows if we has drums of Agent Orange on board and did we fly any of this crap over to NAM durin 1968 to 1972 while I was in Mach. Room #1 during this time period. I also now have Type 2 diabetes with other symptoms and no family history of this disease. I just filed a claim with the VA, but without "real" bonified info that we carried this stuff on board, we are all out of luck! Someone please come forward with some real info. Thanks for reading this.

Well, I've offically been denied my claim with the VA for diabetes. Hopefully someday someone will provide some "proof" and/or Uncle Sam will recognize the fact that this chemical has caused everyone at some time a very lousy lifestyle and will step up and take responsibilty for this!
Here's hoping to a better result for everyone affected.

Good luck to all........

Everyone,

Hopefully great news! Doing a Google search recently has provided some news for us. The US Court of Appeals has ruled (Aug.18th) that you did NOT have to set foot on land and just being off shore in the near vacinity of the Repupublic of Vietnam is good enough. The Vetetrans Affairs is now reviewing this new ruling (so who knows how long this will take). Anyway, it is a step in the right direction for all of us!!!

Just thought I would write another update on this issue.

The VA is appealing the US Court of Appeals decision on this.

I personally have appealed my previous "denial" on the basis of the US Court of Appeals decision (from the advice of my local VA officer) and have requested a decision process to be made by the local Review Officer which I'm sure that will be based on the VA's appeal.

Stay tuned, more to come on this subject!!

hey bud do not give up. I was denied twice and still filing for compensation. need to keep filing and will get results . give them prove that we had agent orange aboard . that is what i am doing "DO NOT QUIT NOW

I will NEVER give up! I still have an active claim filed and still waiting on the court to make their decision on the VA's appeal.

Re: Re: Re: AGENT ORANGE

I finally started receiving my compensation for exposure to agent orange. I received my first check for one year's back pay (when I filed) and have received one monthly check just a few days ago.
Write me at stephens.jerry@comcast.net and I'll get the information on the "team" appointed by the SECNAV to expedidite claims for vets. SMaybe you can contact them and they'll help you. I hope so.
Jerry Stephens

Steve,

What do you remember about agent orange on board ship?