Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quantocks

Paul, I am taking a birding group to the Quantock in a few days. My plan is to walk up Hodders Combe to the top and possibly return via Holford Combe. Is this a route you would recommend to find the sort of birds you encountered? If you have a better suggestion I should be keen to hear it. If you would rather reply by email than on on-line my address is attached.

Brian,

I visited the area you suggest last week and had all the birds suggested in Paul's post plus a few more goodies, including Rsdstart singing at the top of Hodders Combe. I followed the path up to the top of the Combe and down over into the valley bottom on the other side, where I found Wood warbler numerous and ridiculously easy. Hope this helps.

Hi Brian, that is exactly the walk I took, up Hodder's and down Holford (via frog coombe path).

Have a great time!

Many thanks for your help Paul and Ryan. Tomorrow is the day; the forecast is good, and I am full of hope.

Brian

A most enjoyable walk by myself & Adam Gale mid am on in Hodder coombe & Holford coombe produced-7 Wood wblr,4 male Pied fly,4 Redstart,3 male 1 fem,2 Cuckoos,4 Tree pipit-2 v close on ground,2 Blackcap,c 3 Grey wag,pr Bullfinch,5 Hobbies,2+ Mistle thrush,1 Yellowhammer,pr Wheatear,Buzzards,Kestrels,1 Raven,several holly blues,Brimstones & lovely weather!

This afternoon I spent 5 hours covering Hodder's Combe and its three main tributaries, with the following results : 1 Green Woodp, 7 Chiffchaff, 3 Treecreeper, 16 Blackcap, 1 Dipper + 1 juv, 12 singing male Pied Fly + 1 female, 1 Raven, 5 GSWood, 9 singing Goldcrest, 15 Willow Warb, 1 Tree Pipit, 10 Grey Wag (of which 3 juvs), 12 Redstart territories, 1 Stock Dove singing,1 Garden W, 12 (!!)Wood Warbler, 3 Cuckoo, 6 Siskin,2 Hobby, 3 Stonechat, 1 Whitethroat, 1 Tawny Owl flying at 14:30, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Mistle Th.
Sadly no Spotted Flys, and incredibly not one Nuthatch !

Dave.