Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Quantocks

First trip to the quantocks this year didn't disappoint. Double figures of both wood warbler and pied flycatcher, single spotted flycatcher, several cuckoo and all the other usual suspects. A nice surprise was a male whinchat. No redstart seen though, they seem to be my bogey species at this site!

Re: Quantocks

Paul, I am taking a birding group to the Quantock in a few days. My plan is to walk up Hodders Combe to the top and possibly return via Holford Combe. Is this a route you would recommend to find the sort of birds you encountered? If you have a better suggestion I should be keen to hear it. If you would rather reply by email than on on-line my address is attached.

Brian,

I visited the area you suggest last week and had all the birds suggested in Paul's post plus a few more goodies, including Rsdstart singing at the top of Hodders Combe. I followed the path up to the top of the Combe and down over into the valley bottom on the other side, where I found Wood warbler numerous and ridiculously easy. Hope this helps.

Hi Brian, that is exactly the walk I took, up Hodder's and down Holford (via frog coombe path).

Have a great time!

Many thanks for your help Paul and Ryan. Tomorrow is the day; the forecast is good, and I am full of hope.

Brian

A most enjoyable walk by myself & Adam Gale mid am on in Hodder coombe & Holford coombe produced-7 Wood wblr,4 male Pied fly,4 Redstart,3 male 1 fem,2 Cuckoos,4 Tree pipit-2 v close on ground,2 Blackcap,c 3 Grey wag,pr Bullfinch,5 Hobbies,2+ Mistle thrush,1 Yellowhammer,pr Wheatear,Buzzards,Kestrels,1 Raven,several holly blues,Brimstones & lovely weather!

This afternoon I spent 5 hours covering Hodder's Combe and its three main tributaries, with the following results : 1 Green Woodp, 7 Chiffchaff, 3 Treecreeper, 16 Blackcap, 1 Dipper + 1 juv, 12 singing male Pied Fly + 1 female, 1 Raven, 5 GSWood, 9 singing Goldcrest, 15 Willow Warb, 1 Tree Pipit, 10 Grey Wag (of which 3 juvs), 12 Redstart territories, 1 Stock Dove singing,1 Garden W, 12 (!!)Wood Warbler, 3 Cuckoo, 6 Siskin,2 Hobby, 3 Stonechat, 1 Whitethroat, 1 Tawny Owl flying at 14:30, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Mistle Th.
Sadly no Spotted Flys, and incredibly not one Nuthatch !

Dave.