Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Info required - Burnham

I am looking to participate in a sea watch Thursday am, if tide and weather conditions are suitable. My target bird will be Leachs petrel as I am yet to see this species in the UK. I see one was seen from Burnham this am, so I figure it's worth a try as I'm off this week and let's face it....the weather is somewhat against us! Could anyone give me some pointers as to where to watch from in Burnham, I'm assuming this is one of the better areas to seawatch from???
Thanks Ryan

Re: Info required - Burnham

Hi Ryan,
We usually watch from the second shelter down towards the Brue from the lifeboat station. Two hours up to high tide are best, low tide useless. Thursday not looking great at the moment, but things may change. This morning was good because of a combination of several factors: strong southwesterlies the day before, staying strong and going northwesterly overnight; early morning high tide (9am); and dull, overcast and occasionally squally conditions.

The tower hide at Steart can be just as good, often better, but takes longer to get to. I've seen Leach's off Stolford and Wall Common before too, but there's no shelter there (although you can use your car as shelter at Stolford).

Thanks for the info Julian,

I may try tomorrow instead then, high tide at 9am so will get there for first light while the weather is still poor. Directions from Morrisons please?? Only place I know really!

Weather forecast I'm seeing says light to moderate northeasterly for tomorrow am, so I wouldn't bother. Only really worth it in strong westerlies/northwesterlies, though something might linger. If so it's likely to be a Grey Phal around the Brue mouth, so concentrating on the Brue rather than seawatching would be a better bet.

Lifeboat station is opposite entrance to Morrisons - park just beyond 2nd shelter and go up steps and back to shelter.

Ok thanks will keep an eye on the forecast and make the trip another time, thanks for your help Julian