Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wryneck

B Guides Map showing a Wryneck at Crooks Peak.

Re: Wryneck

Yes, a wryneck seen well but briefly on the southern side of Wavering Down, directly above Compton Bishop church and below where the National Trust are working with a minidigger at 12:45 today. It then flew a short distance east into deep cover and wasn't seen again.

Sadly missed the Wryneck this morning with Ian beadle. But a great selection of birds in the area with around 10 Spotted flycatcher & probably 8 Redstart, with a supporting cast of Wheatear, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, Whinchat, Tree pipit, Meadow pipit, Bullfinch, Peregrine, Raven, Green Woodpecker and more.

A fairly intensive foray on the southern slope of Wavering Down, on paths and off-piste, today (late morning to mid-afternoon) turned out to be, rather sadly, sans Wryneck, sans migrants, sans raptors; in fact, sans pretty much anything, apart from Green Woodpeckers, of which there was an abundance.
Good, though, to see a very healthy-looking Fox which was evidently having much more fun than I was!

I am sorry it was a fruitless search, John. I only saw one green woodpecker yesterday and no fox!