Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purple Heron still around

I can't find the thread where the Purple Heron was being followed, so I have started this one.

During a very lonely, grey vigil at Tor View Hide on Sunday afternoon I saw a PH enter Waltons boundary from the South, fly North towards the carved otter and then turn East apparently to land in Loxtons.

That was at 1335 and just 8 minutes later it reappeared and more or less retraced its path to disappear to the South again.

Re: Purple Heron still around

Hi John, thanks for the update, I was cycling around Ham Wall and Shapwick on Sat hoping that the purple heron might take to flight, but sadly no sign. In fact there was very little of interest flying, apart from a black tern and Osprey on Noah's

Just in case any experts can see anything of significance in them I have posted three photos of the PH from my sighting on Sunday 30th Aug.

http://jalbum.net/a/1653707

I am so ashamed of them that you will have to use the password "sos" to get into the album to see them.

Would that my pics of 24June were as good ! but it does look like the same aged bird ! See the SOS posting under Ham Wall for the latest (as far as I know)

John, your images are excellent as clearly it was dreadful weather but plenty of detail. I put a few hours in on the Sunday and had no luck. I posted a couple of images on Birdguides of the same purple heron taken from the first viewing platform at Ham Wall on Friday the 28th. Blue sky but distant, heavily cropped and heat hazed (I also put a couple of the distant osprey at Noahs Lake on there)!

Juv. Purple Heron seen in flight at 13.30hrs from Tor Hide. Flew west to east along far tree line.