Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Swifts

4 Swifts at Cary Moor last night, 7 or 8 of what appeared to be Juv Pheasants despite the rufous red tail markings which did make me think a bit!

No Swifts seen in Coleford today.

Re: Swifts

None seen in Glastonbury since Thursday and non over Shapwick/Ham Wall this afternoon.

2 yesterday morning at Cheddar res.

2 Swifts at Coleford a few minutes ago

Single Swift over Coleford this evening and another elsewhere in the East narrowly avoided being caught by a Pair of Hobbies

Still at least 6 Swifts around the breeding colony this evening (12th) at Wadeford, near Chard.

14 Swifts over the Garden (Coleford) heading West, approx. 3.45pm this afternoon.

Watching half a dozen swifts above Ham Wall I was starteld to see a snipe of all things whiz past - made me realise I hadn't seen one for a while.

2 swifts in Yeovil today......

10-12, low over maize fields just south of Taunton, Sunday morning.

Haven't seen a swift over Ilminster for nearly a week, but one popped up tonight.

Two over driving range, just south of Taunton, this morning.

4 over Stockmoor this afternoon.

One Coleford Saturday 22nd with large numbers of House Martins
Also 2 Ravens

3 over Central Frome yesterday evening (24th). Also a Little Egret flying over Central Frome this morning, first I've seen round here for a couple of years!

Four or five in mixed flock just south of Taunton, Saturday morning.

Single Swift over Coleford approx. 4.15 this afternoon.

Single over Stockmoor at 19.45 on 29th.

2 Swifts over Coleford Ath football ground yesterday afternoon during village day.

One Swift flying with the House Martins last night over my house in East Taunton.

I have just come back from the west coast of the Scottish Highlands and was surprised to see a swift flying low over the sand dunes at the bottom of Loch ewe. It was circling around with a group of swallows, hawking insects in the pouring rain a couple of meters above the sand. It seemed an unlikely spot for a swift considering the time of year.

thought this might be of interest. have conducted regular surveys in this locality
TA116EQ had good numbers through year at regular nest sites.
a, swift entered nest position 2nd sept @ 13.05
b,swift feeding overhead with group Hs martins 5th sept.
c, 2 swifts overhead 8 th sept 9.15am
d, 1 swift overhead 12th sept @ 19.10

All ovbservations made from this locality in Keinton Mandeville