Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Osprey Ham Wall

Alerted by Ash W. "Osprey Tor View 0920"
I arrived at 1015 and a couple of mins later the bird appeared carrying a fish in front of the Tor, disappeared chased by gulls etc after a five minute fly round. I saw it around mid day from VP2 to the N.E. in a dead tree toward Wilderness drove area it later moved south and landed in the south area of Loxtons. It may hang around. (Shows sign of wing moult)!

Re: Osprey Ham Wall

The Osprey was on a low dead stump in the S.East area of Loxton's again today,it flew off for an hour mid day westerly but returned, caught a fish and was feeding in the same area and still there at 1530 when I left

It stayed on the same stump until around 4.30 before flying off over Walton's in the direction of the car park. Think it might then have looped round as I think I might have seen it again briefly as I walked back towards the railway path.

The osprey was fishing (on-and-off) over Loxton's Marsh at 16:30 until it successfully caught a fish and flew west with it at 17:00.

Couple of photos on my Twitter feed (levelsbirder)

By-the-way 'Nightjar6' the messageboard rules do not allow anonymous postings. Please use your proper name.

Not sure if anyone has been able to relocate the Ham Wall Osprey this morning and I know that there is more than one in the sky but it was interesting to see that an Osprey popped up at Middlebere early this morning. Perfect timing for the same bird on its way south. (Another small indicator that summer is nearly over :-)!!)

No sign of the Osprey today (0830 - 1500) either on Ham Wall or Shapwick but an RSPB work party working opposite VP2 on Ham Wall put up 100+ duck and 70'ish Blk Wits plus 3 GARGANEY and one Green S'Pipier quickly followed by a flyover of a Fairey Swordfish in company with a Chipmunk and they arn'et common on the Avalon Marshes!

No sign of the Osprey this evening at Ham Wall.
Pair or Barn Owls were out VP1 & the small starling roost at Waltons kept us entertained.

Osprey perched on a gatepost to the right of the next bridge to the south of the Old Ashcott Railway Bridge at Ham Wall at 11.15 am. Stayed there for good 20 minutes to half an hour. Not there after returning from VP2.