Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Red Kites

Yet 2 more over Churchinford early afternoon.

Single Red kite drifting over the M5 just north of the Bridgewater junction & a Hobby overhead just before the Taunton junction.

Just seen what must be a Red Kite (from the forked/v-shaped tail) near Wedmore, being 'mobbed' by a crow/rook. Fascinating - having googled it - to read of their spread across the country.

Red Kite over my home in Somerton this morning hunting at 50ft

and to join in the fun, one yesterday slowly passing over west coker, as usual mobbed by a gull.

Just heard that Dick Best saw three Red Kites at Steart village yesterday morning.

NPW

One floated north-west over Chipstable today (13Jun15) just before noon, towards the Brendons.

One above Stapleton Close, Martock on Wednesday morning, (10th) at 8.15 am, heading south. Also one drifting north over Ashmead Lakes, Ash this morning (Saturday) at 11.10 am.

13-Jun-15
3, a single soon followed by two more, flew slowly east over Shapwick Heath and Ham Wall this morning around 11:30 hrs.

11/6/15 - 2 over Ham Wall - photographed the second one's rump!
12/6/15 - 1 over Shapwick

Sorry, I've not been very good at sending sightings lately. I had 2 red kite sightings over the Easter weekend - one over my house in Frome and another over Beckington. Then a quiet patch until the weekend of 6th and 7th June when I had 3 separate sightings from my garden (lovely weekend, spent most of it on the sun lounger!). Then on the way home from work in Melksham a red kite drifted over the road (Wiltshire sighting). Finally last Saturday 13th I was walking on the edge of Bath and had another one. They are getting almost common!

Single Red Kite over Shipham this afternoon.

Red Kite this morning quartering the mowed field opposite Oakhill Primary School. Very low and probably the closest I will ever get to a Red Kite. Many thanks to the Lollipop lately for stopping the traffic and thus allowing this sighting to occur!

spotted a single red kite just outside Wedmore yesterday evening

Not a report but I am wondering why so many kites have accumulated in Cornwall. Was there a release there, or are they migrants from France settling in the first place they land, or even kites from Wales and England heading South Westwards and getting funnelled and stopping when surrounded by sea?

Another one over Churchinford around 10 this morning. Re Andrew's query it is the latter i.e. they are non breeding birds coming out of the Chilterns/Midlands (and possibly Wales) that get funnelled down to Cornwall, meet the sea and turn round and head back. This year one bird was recognised by its wing tags as coming from the North East population. Mark Darlaston from Devon Birds has posted previously regarding their origin.

Thanks Doug. That is very interesting.