Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cuckoo

Just heard a cuckoo down on levels below Moorlinch.

Re: Cuckoo

On Tealham Moor yesterday evening I saw what I first thought was a small raptor chasing another bird but as they came closer to me, I realized that it was a Cuckoo being chased and attacked by a Meadow Pipit!

Cuckoo calling this pm near GB Gruffy on the mendips

Seems to be a good year for cuckoos. Again saw and heard a male and heard the female cackling away down the Huntspill river yesterday morning, no doubt returning for reed warblers' second clutches. Then was serenaded by yet another pair flying around down Pawlett Ponds all afternoon. Was also treated to an otter popping up right in front of my rod tip,looking at me with astonishment and then diving into the reeds.

It has frequently seemed to me over recent years that the decline in cuckoo sightings is less marked in reedbed areas than in other sites. Which leads to the tentative conclusion that the reason for decline is loss of winter habitat, and that the cuckoo which nest-predates Reed Warblers overwinters in an area where habitat los is less of a problem than it is for nest-predating Meadow Pipit and Dunnock cuckoos. This is purely a personal theory and there may be other explanations. Can anyone shed light on this situation please - I would love to know the real reason for the decline!

Female heard at Greylake, RSPB, this afternoon.