Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Red kite

I was just really lucky with the Osprey Lee. If the Raven mobbing it hadn't vocalised, I might have missed it altogether! Keep looking up I guess!

A Red Kite flew east near Blue Anchor at 9.40am this morning being mobbed by Herring Gulls.

Another Red Kite heading north over Churchinford this afternoon around 4.20 p.m.

Red Kite watched for 45 mins here in the East of the County at the weekend. Dropping Carrion and then catching it again, I will probably never experience that again!

Pair of Red kites seen at Ham wall from VP 1 above trees. Hour previous, one came from Shapwick and flew over VP 1.

Lightning striking twice?
One flying east over Stoke St Gregory at 10.10 this morning and another flying east over Muchelney at 16.20 this afternoon.

Another drifting south over Tealham Moor at 3pm

One high over Ham Wall today, drifting south.

Red kite drifting over Cothelstone Hill on the edge of the Quantock Hills at noon today

Red Kite over the my house at Burtle this afternoon

Probable Red Kite over my house in Taunton this morning at 9 am. Seems quite likely now given the other sightings.

2 Red Kites at Red Post near Ilchester this morning

There was one drifting over Castle School, Taunton on Saturday morning.

Red kite North over Westbury Sub Mendip at 1.00pm. Had at least one right primary missing.

Another red kite heading east over our garden in Mark at 4.50 today...

Red Kite over Wyndham Park,Yeovil early pm 20th.

One seen on arable fields from the A37 nr Charlton Mackrell yesterday

One over Glastonbury reclamation at 14:25 today

One over Glastonbury reclamation at 14:25 today

They keep on coming - late post for Monday 27th. One over Wellington Monument at 8.50 a.m.

Another red kite floating low over Watchfield, west of Mark Village, this afternoon.

Red kite (noticeably in moult) circling over Bicknoller Hill in the Quantocks this morning around 10.30 / 11.00 being mobbed by a large number of corvids.
Lost sight of it to the east (though my viewpoint was well down the west-facing scarp).

...and one observed my Bruce Taylor and myself yesterday wheeling with gulls over Dimmer.

One over Churchinford this afternoon at 3.00 p.m. In keeping with many other observations it was in heavy wing moult.

Just had one over middlezoy too. Also in heavy moult.

Red Kite just (4.05pm) flew over my garden in Horton Cross, heading NE. Another one in heavy wing moult.

Looks like being the season for Red Kites, I saw one early this morning at Greylake and another in the afternoon at Westhay. At Westhay the resident male Marsh Hsrrier shadowed the Kite from a distant, yet as soon as a buzzard appeared the Harrier would aggressively drive it off. Not sure why the Marsh Harrier was more tolerant of the Kite.

Also, if I recall correctly we had a lot of Red Kites in Somerset around the time of the silage cutting last year, as it is now silage time hopefully lots more sightings to come of these superb birds.

One also with wing moult over Wyndham Park,Yeovil yesterday(16th) at 3pm.

One over Larkhill, Yeovil 1725 today.

2 Red Kites flying south near Somerton yesterday the 19th

Red Kite about 20ft above my house in Wells being mobbed by resident Jackdaws. Didn't seem too worried and circled off towards Penn Hill mast

Same today at brook side road combwich. A garden first for me.

2 low & slow west at Knighton this p.m.

Two at Chard Junction on the Somerset/Dorset border at noon today, flew slowly SW into Devon.

Red kite flying north along Kingsway in Mark at 12.30pm today.

A Kite circling over High Ham on 24th at 16:00

One drifting East over Wadham Park area of Crewkerne at 7;50am this morning.

Red Kite very low over Bishopswood on the Blackdowns this evening at 1840. Proceeding unhurriedly in a Westerly direction roughly towards Churchinford.

One red kite circling over my house in cotford saint luke near Taunton this morning around 930 am. one for the garden list!