Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Osprey

Osprey flew over Tealham Moor this evening at 7.10pm heading North.... may well roost up at Chew?

Re: Osprey

Osprey over Meare Heath car park at 7 tonight. Coming from Ham Wall and heading in direction of Noah's Lake. Same bird I wonder?
Meare Scrape provided 20+ Sand Martins, 3 House Martins & 1 Swallow.1 Snipe. 30 Blackwit. 2 Redshank. 2 Chiffchaff. 1 fem Peregrine. Plus the usual "specials."
A Barn Owl hunting close to Latcham, near Wedmore, close to dusk.

An Osprey flew over Meare Heath at around 9.15 this morning as the early mist cleared. It was reported earlier than that at Ham Wall apparently. I may well have seen it yesterday evening as I saw a large bird from my garden in Westhay coming from Tealham towards Ham Wall but I didn't get a good enough view to be sure.

Two Ospreys were reported northbound at Portland Observatory 4.30 ish yesterday afternoon so quite likely one of those was the Avalon Marshes bird a couple of hours later - they have just reported another, and a Red Kite about a hour ago so definitely the time to do a bit of Sky watching.

I had an Osprey being mobbed by a Raven over the reserve at Asda in Frome this morning (6th April). After a brief tussle, it headed north over the town, possibly heading for Chew.

Possible Osprey heading north-east high over Butleigh early afternoon today. It was clearly a raptor & significantly larger than the Buzzards circling below it.