Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wheatear

Male wheatear this morning halfway along chalets on seaward side at Dunster Beach. Also large flock of golden plovers over very high up numbering around 400. Female black redstart opposite chalet 35, and 3 shoveler on sea amongst wigeon flock.

Cracking male Wheatear showing well along the 'sea wall' between Brue estuary and Huntspill sluice yesterday afternoon - also Spotted Redshank feeding at sluice and c30 Avocets plus 1 Black-tailed Godwit on Parrett, and 1 Common Sandpiper on brue near Highbridge Clyce.

Hi Sandra

I help with a Wheatear colour ringing project on Lundy - I wonder if the bird you saw could be from there. What was the colour ring combination?

Hello Richard
I looked up the Lundy criteria and my observation did not suggest a match. Unfortunately, I did not have the benefit of a scope on this occasion but there did not appear to be any rings on the right leg and the two colour rings on the left looked like red/orange over a very light colour which seemed like a very pale green. No metal ring was obvious. Having trawled through various lists I now realise the information is probably too limited to determine its origin.

My first wheatear of the year, a male, preceded me along the fence posts on the left as I walked up to the Huntspill sluice this morning from Sloway Lane. Kestrels prospecting their usual owl box and a kingfisher at the top (pair seen there yesterday).

Re: Crewkerne Wheatear

A female seen this morning, my earliest sighting ever on this site.
Just a shame that 500 houses are going to be built on it! :(

Re: Wheatears

Four Wheatears on Wall Common this p.m.