Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help! Where are the Starlings roosting?!

I wonder what time you were watching as you may just have been witnessing pre-roost gathering activity. Certainly tonight they were still heading in the general direction of Shapwick as seen from fields north of Meare. Definitely not heading for Westhy Moor.

Thanks Frank and Sandra - I stayed until about 5.15 by which time it was pretty gloomy - as you say they may have then returned to Shapwick but it looked as if they were heading further away... Joe Cockram has suggested maybe Canada Farm or Westhay Heath, both of which are in the right direction (roughly NW)... I'll check them both tomorrow but if anyone else has some news do let me know!

They aren't using Shapwick - this evening they shot straight over as you say heading NW, well beyond the reserve; I drove around Shapwick/Westhay a bit but they were too far away. First time since I've been here (6 years) that they have not been on either Ham Wall or Shapwick Heath.

Finally found them tonight, first in the fields to the north of the Westhay-Burtle road, then flew over our heads and roosted at Westhay Heath north reed bed and also in reed beds to west of there. Two women walked into that reed bed and flushed quite a few of the birds - not very sensible given that they are trying to go to sleep!

Hi Stephen,

Good luck with the filming this week. My recent observations are that the starling numbers are now down and that their roosting location(s) has become very unpredictable. Even with my bike I find I cannot keep up with them. My last visit was on Friday when the birds appeared to gather near Decoy Hide on Shapwick Heath, but then all departed in the direction of Westhay. Many observers started to leave, but they reappeared and then settled in the reeds just next to the path down to Decoy and they did put on a lovely show ....

Inside a starling storm

The bird numbers always appear to be higher in late Dec/early Jan when I got most of my best views and I think that some have now started to move away from the levels as the nights get longer. They have put on a fabulous show this year and hopefully the camera team can get in the right location this week.

Incidentally if they are back on Shapwick near Decoy then it is possible to get some great views into the reed beds as they start to roost, if you have a step ladder or use a tree !!

Inside a Starling Roost

I look forward to seeing the film from the BBC team, can you reveal what programme it will be shown on?

Robin

Starlings coming into roost

Hi, I think they have changed location to Weston super Mare. I go to Hutton Moor Leisure Centre down to the far end on the right hand side at about 4.30pm and they appear in their hundreds of thousands and put on a great display. Hope this helps.

Thanks Tracie and Robin - good to hear they are in Weston as well! The programme featuring the starlings will be this autumn on BBC1 - provisionally entitled Skyworlds...