Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Westhay

Spent an afternoon just wandering down London Drove today (1.30 - 4.00). Lots of species about, but failed to spot the Firecrest in the reported location (just past the orange fence). I spent an hour in total between 2.00-2.30 and 3.30-4.00 at the Firecrest spot, but found the whole area to be very quiet. A pair of Water Rail were skulking about under the trees, but there was nothing in the trees.

What time were you there Richard?

Species highlights spotted along the Drove were

Chiffchaff
Goldcrest
LTT
Treecreeper
Cetti's Warbler
Bullfinch
Goosander
GWE
Kingfisher
Raven
Water Rail
Coal Tit

Also heard a small flock of Bearded Tits in the area around North hide, but failed to get eyes on them, and also saw what I thought was the back end of a snipe flying away from me.

Jamie I was there between 9.15 & 9.45 am the Firecrest was feeding on both sides of the drove although it did favour the opposite side to the ivy clad trees at times very low down in the bracken and brambles last seen flying off into the trees behind the metal gate.

No sign of the Firecrests in a couple of hours late morning. Some consolation though, Dartford Warbler seen briefly on western side of raised bog.

Unable to post this before but there were two Firecrests showing quite well around 1 pm yesterday in the usual area; I understood they had been seen much earlier but had disappeared for a while. I was indebted to a gentleman whose ears were much younger than mine; had he not been there I might easily have walked past them!

No sign of any Firecrests this morning but perhaps a bit early as Goldcrests became active as I started to leave....duty calls I'm afraid!

A very icy scene this morning but the highlight was 6 Great White Egrets perched in trees together over the back of the drove. Also 3 Water Rail, 7 Grey Heron, 6 Goosander, Cetti's, Reed Bunting, Marsh Harrier and good numbers of finches and tits.

1330 Wednesday firecrest two showing well in ivy trees also bearded tit 2 nearby
Goo sander 14