Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brean Down - Directions

I'm planning a visit to the Brean area tomorrow am in search of the Twite and Lap Bunting. Can anyone give me a rough idea as to where is best to look please??? It will be my first visit to the site.

Thanks
Ryan

Re: Brean Down - Directions

Drive all the way to the end of the road, and park in the NT car park. The seawall around the car park, and towards the Down, is where the black redstarts usually are. For the other birds, you need to head to the salt marsh by the farm - keep following the track to the right, along the base of the Down toward the farm buildings. At the farm, turn right again along the sea wall. The twite have been anywhere from here on towards the river - I don't think the bunting has been seen recently.

The location is the salt marsh at Brean Down Farm As you approach the farm you will see the sea wall and salt marsh in front of you to the right of the lane/road.

The twite - I have most often seen them in the first area of salt marsh in front of the farmhouse. They feed amongst the grass and are difficult to see well but they seem to like the bushes in front of the farmhouse and when resting there you get get some great views with the light behind you. But they have also been seen up near the old trailers - on the fence at the top of the sea wall and also feeding around the puddles towards the cattle sheds. The twite are almost always in a group of 3 or 4.

As for the Lap - I have only seen it once and it was on the fence referred to above. Others may have better info.

Best of luck

Thanks for your help guys lets hope the Twite get me into 3 figures for the year!