Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hurdle walk to Noah's Hide

An accident waiting to happen!
Very difficult surface to walk on, easier to walk on mud either side as it's less slippy than the uneven hurdles
Ps three goldeneye from hide

Re: Hurdle walk to Noah's Hide

Dear Cliff

Thank you for your message regarding the willow matting installed on the track to Noahs hide at Shapwick Heath NNR over the Christmas period. This matting was installed as a trial to see how useful it would be as a walking surface. We welcome all comments. We would certainly not want to create a potentially dangerous situation on the reserve. As a result of this valuable feedback we will now look at the matting and see if we can improve the surface to make it safe to walk on. If this is not possible we will remove it. Again thankyou for your feedback.

With kind regards

Simon

Senior Reserve Manager Somerset National Nature Reserves

Hi Simon, You no doubt will have had quite a bit of feedback by now. When I walked the hurdles, which were extremely slippery, I wondered whether the intention was to surface them with bark chippings. The hurdles as a base are a good idea but I suggest they need a topping to make them safe. Regards, David

Hi David

Thank you for the reply. As you suggest, we have now covered the matting with a layer of woodchip. It will take a few days for this to settle but along with the matting we hope this will provide a good surface. We still intend to monitor the matting to see how long it lasts in combination with the woodchip. It was considerably quicker and easier to lay than our standard log and chip paths.

With kind regards

Simon

Senior Reserve Manager Natural England
Somerset National Nature Reserves

Simon

Many thanks for your reply, nice to know comments are acted upon

Regards
Cliff

I used the path yesterday and it is now much improved.

Simon

Managed a walk to Noah's on Sunday and the pathway much improved, Thanks for your prompt remedial works.

Three treecreepers in one tree on the walk down was unexpected bonus!

Cliff

Any chance, Simon, of the improved surface being extended? The rain is making the approach section very muddy now.

Dear Sandra

Thank you for the update. As soon as we are able to we will put some more chipping and logs down and extend the path. Unfortunately we don't have enough woodchip available at present to do this.

With kind regards

Simon

Senior Reserves Manager
Somerset National Nature Reserves

Thanks for the response, Simon. All improvement work will be appreciated but we understand the constraints.