Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Peregrine mobbing Marsh Harrier!

Lots of Winter duck at RSPB Greylake this lunchtime.
Highlight of my visit was seeing a Peregrine repeatedly mobbing a Marsh Harrier!

Pics are on my blog.... also, in the flock of duck was a small one I'm unsure of, with an orange belly, it looks different to all the others!
If anyone could help identify it I'd be grateful!

Re: Peregrine mobbing Marsh Harrier!

I don't know what it is. Something in eclipse plumage?

Still, I enjoyed the photos. Love all the ducks flying up together!

James Crutchley
I don't know what it is. Something in eclipse plumage?

Still, I enjoyed the photos. Love all the ducks flying up together!

Thank you for looking James!

Looks to be a Teal, you occasionally get birds with orange breasts like this, not sure why.

Rich M

There seems to be a hint of Orange at the base of the bill ? Could well be a juvenile Teal - I think the rusty staining (often seen on the necks of swans) is caused by Iron or Tanins present in some bodies of water.

Fabulous shots Carl, I am so envious .

Why not get yourself a cheap zoom bridge camera to carry for shots like this to save messing about with lenses?
The Fuji HS50 for example has 1000mm FL on tap instantly with manual focus and manual zoom lens.
Shutter speed and readwrite speed are phenominal and 16fps continous burst mode isn't shabby either.
Small sensor but still capable of some reasonable image quality I think you'll agree. All the shots in my flickr gallery have zero post production just some cropping.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/57957957@N08/
BR Johnny