Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hurlstone Point - November 19th

The first returning Red-throated Divers back off Hurlstone this morning when a flock of 6 flew west, these were followed later by 4 single birds. A Great Northern Diver flew by in the opposite direction. The most unusual sighting this morning were 3 birds that flew in from the east quite a way out and settled on the sea which turned out to be Egyptian Geese after a short while they flew off NW towards S. Wales, not something I expected to see on a Somerset seawatch! Also 2 Dark and a Pale-bellied Brent Geese, 3 Common Scoter and a Shag in addition to the usual auks.

Re: Hurlstone Point - November 19th

Hurlstone Pt 21st November
Wet with a chilly ESE wind visibility was not that good but managed to see 4 Red-throated diver all sat on the sea plus 1 Dark belly Brent goose and 5 Common Scoter West and a single Harbour Porpoise

One of the Minehead Boat Skippers just emailed me to say there was a Great Skua terrorising Kittiwakes between Glenthorne & Foreland Point this morning, not in Somerset, (yet) but in my experience they tend to hang around at this time of year and it is quite likely to move its "theatre of operations" to Hurlestone or the Minehead area.

Presumably the same Great Skua mentioned by Jon in the previous posting in this thread flew up-Channel at Hurlstone this morning. Also off the Point were 14 Red-throated Divers; two flocks of Dark-bellied Brent Geese totalling 17 flew east whilst 2 Pale-bellied went in the opposite direction; 2 Red-breasted Mergansers; 6 Common Scoter; a single Gannet and a number of auks. With the sea quite calm it was also possible to see at least 4 Harbour Porpoises which isn't always easy at this time of year when it is usually far rougher.