Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dunlin display on the River Parrett

Hi everyone. On Sunday afternoon, while at WWT Steart Marshes, I watched a superb display from a large flock of Dunlin "murmurating" over the River Parrett.

This was far better than the starlings and I am keen to see them again. Is this a regular event and does the flock size grow throughout the winter. I would love to get as much information as possible in terms of the best locations and times. I assume that it depends on the tides etc.

If you can help, please post here, if that's ok with the moderators, or send an email

many thanks in advance

20141102 Dunlin - River Parrett 9

Dunlin

20141102 Dunlin - River Parrett 6

20141102 Dunlin - River Parrett 3

Re: Dunlin display on the River Parrett

Hi Robin,

Some very nice photos, especially the ones with the darkened sky background - well done!

High tide on Sunday was around 1420 hours, so I'm guessing that you watched this spectacle up to about 90 minutes either side of that time (ie. sometime between 1300 - 1600 hours).

Like other estuarine wintering waders, the lives of Dunlin are ruled by the tide. The incoming tide floods the mudflats and forces the birds off their feeding areas. They form into large roosting flocks that select favoured sites to rest and preen, only to disperse again as the tide recedes and exposes the mud once more.

So, in theory, the phenomenon you witnessed occurs twice a day around each high tide, with the higher tides producing the most concentrated flocks. However, my experience is that the amount of 'display' can vary considerably and can often be the most spectacular when one or more predators are present (eg. Peregrine, Merlin, etc.) and harrying the flocks.

If you check the Somerset Bird Report you'll be able to see the dates of peak numbers of Dunlin recorded at the site in previous years. I don't have a copy to hand but I think you can expect good numbers of Dunlin to be present for the next three months (Nov, Dec and Jan) at least.

In summary, if keep an eye on the tide times, select weather conditions likely to provide you with adequate light for photography, and aim to be on site about 90 minutes before high tide, I think you'll stand a fair chance of further success.

Good luck and please do share more images on this site.

Best regards,

Nick

Re: Dunlin display on the River Parrett

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I am certainly looking forward to my next trip to Steart and will clearly be keeping an eye on the tides and weather in order to get the best opportunity to photograph the Dunlin. I ought to say thanks to the Pallid Harrier as it was this bird that drew me to Steart last weekend!!

Best wishes, Robin