Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Woodpigeons on the move

At Sampford Point, on the Devon/Somerset border this morning between 10.45--12.45,approx 1700 flew west, including nine flocks of 100-150.Also 10 Skylarks going west were a good local record,as this species is difficult to find on the Somerset Blackdowns.

Re: Woodpigeons on the move

This week I have also noticed very large flocks coming over Withycombe Common at between 8.30 and 9. So many that they cover the whole sky, afraid I cannot count that well to give you a number. Might they be migrants?

Almost certainly migrants. Many hundred per hour recorded over Portland Bill. I saw a more modest flock of around 50 over Meare Heath yesterday heading south.

Between 12 noon and 2pm c.1000 Woodpigeons passing over Wellington Monument, mainly in west direction, average flock size about 50.

At least 1000 Wood pigeon in a single flock over Wedmore at 7.30 this morning and a total of another 7-800 over Meare Heath between 08.00 and 09.30
in several flocks. All headed south.

Counted (estimated) 6,200 Woodies between 0645h-0800h this morning (1st Nov) flying south from Brendon Hills over Chipstable, typically in flocks of 1-200, one of over 400.

In same period, about 450 Jackdaws and 150 Rooks flying north-west from their roost.

And 1,500 Starlings flying west, in many flocks.

Scattered flocks of Redwing, totalling about 150 in that period.

Unprecedented abundance, capped by a Peregrine flushing about 100 Woodies, which by then were "dripping" from the trees; and wonderful interaction of a Jay sidling up to a Sparrowhawk perched atop a fir tree in the early sun, getting closer and closer, until the hawk had finally had enough and chased the crow away.

Many thousands of birds obviously crossing the county in the last few days ,but not still as impressive as the 3 million !!, which crossed Belgium and Holland on Saturday.

Over the past week I've also seen large Woodie flocks, all moving S or SW through Aisholt Combe at 7.30-8.30am

Also smaller number of Skylarks and (on 1st Nov) Fieldfare on the move

I had a conversation with a birder in Bristol who's also been seeing large numbers of woodpigeons moving through

Between 0730--0900, c.1300 Woodpigeons going west over Wellington Monument,largest flock c. 500

From 0730--0900,approx 2400 Woodpigeons going west over Wellington.Single largest flock c .500

In the first hour or so of daylight have seen large flocks going over Westport for the last 3 mornings - most heading South , smaller no's going West.

On the Quantocks a flock of at least 7,000 circling over the Ramscombe/Great wood area at 10:15 this morning. There were other flocks of several hundred in the Combes on the S. side between here and Bicknoller as well.

The Quantocks woodpigeons are mostly feeding on beechmast... hope they leave some for bramblings this winter!

Numbers may have been swelled by the S/SW woodpigeon movements over past couple of weeks, but there were already large flocks here