Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
starlings

I am coming from Dorset this week in the hope of seeing murmurations. Is it too early please?
I have rung the hotline but I am wondering if the flocks will be large enough.
Thank you for any answers.

Re: starlings

Hi Jo,
Although numbers are increasing, it's still a month or two to early to see the "spectacular" numbers will peak from late December through to February when the temperature is coldest. It's still quite warm given we are at the end of October now, so I'm hoping for the temperature to drop so we can get up to circa 1million birds this year.
The RSPB are having some events on 13th & 21st December. Both morning and afternoon. The mornings are worth getting up for. But, there are several thousand birds coming into roost ATM. Hope this helps?
Regards,
Lee.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for an in depth reply. Several thousand seems a good start for my first sighting so I look forward to crossing it off my bucket list! And perhaps returning again later in the year.

Best of Birds,
Jo

They're back in good numbers this weekend. Nice weather, good number of people turned out to see some fine displays against some gorgeous sky's today between 16:00 -17:00. I'd put numbers closer to 200,000, and the tempeture is set to drop a little this week. 5 Marsh harriers were hunting low at the back of the roost. No other Raptors were visible. They're currently roosting at Shapwick.
Starling Hotline 07866 554142. Thanks to John Crispin.

Just to clarify, the starlings are currently roosting on Meare Heath which is the area nearest the Ashcott Rd car park on the north side of the South Drain. Disappointed people are still waiting at the Shapwick Rd end of reserve!