Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Meare Heath Scrape continued

Scrape highlight late morning was a party of 9 Bearded Tits that crossed from 70 Acres into the reeded island to the west end rear of the scrape. Several parties having been seen earlier in the reeded lagoon (just west of the car park)and others were seen on 70 Acres. Godwits reached 250; Ruff 4 or 5 plus a few Snipe but no Knot!

Re: Meare Heath Scrape continued

By early evening (17:00), when I called in, Blk-t Godwits had reduced to only 15, but there were 7 Ruff, and 22 Common Snipe feeding out in the open.

Blk. Tld. G'Wits numbered 297 or 295 this morning (two counters)! Probably a record total for this location with 3 or 4 Ruff and Snipe plus 2 Water Rails visible along the back edge.

I think you’re right about it being a record total, Alan. I did a check through back issues of the County Bird Report and found a previous max of 285 here in Aug/Sep 2010. Before I left, early this evening at 4.45pm, I did a count after those partially hidden among the foliage on the near island had joined the main flock out in open water and came up with a total of 314. Interestingly, just after this, about a third of them got up and flew off westward – to the Parrett Estuary/Steart?

5-Oct-14
Much the same as recently: 300+ Blk-t Godwits (I counted 307, but could well have been a few more), 15 Knot, 7 Ruff and a few Snipe. Total of 3 Grt White Egrets (one here and 2 on Noah's Lake), a few Bearded Tits had been heard/seen in the morning between the car park and the scrape before I arrived, and a single Kingfisher flew along the drain. Two flocks of Siskins (14 + 30) flew east over Noah's Lake, and a Weasel scampered across the main track. Spent a lot of time sky searching for an Oct Hobby without any luck.

One Little Stint also present on the scrape at 16.30 this afternoon.

Wed 8th. Oct. 5 Golden Plover flew over the scrape, briefly joining the 170 G'Wits and 100 Lapwing and probably the same number of Snipe that had gone airborne in response to the passing RSPB Soft Track Reed cutter, then heading off to the south West.

Fri The pump has been indisposed this week hence the high water level, it was repaired this morning and swiched on. N.Eng. have indicated that they will try to keep the level down for another couple of weeks. 280 Blk Tld.Godwits with 100 Lapwing 20 Snipe (probably many more!) plus 8 Ruff were the only waders seen 9 Swallows passed over heading south around 1330hrs.

1 Jack Snipe feeding in the open on the near island this afternoon

Usual wetland birds around this morning but no Ruff. 5 Swallow over at 09.00.

340 Blk Tld G'Wits counted on the scrape, around 1130 a group of Redwings numbering a dozen or so flew over heading S.W. followed at 1400 by a second similar sized group, first I've positively identified this Autumn! 4 Bittern flights and a couple of Marsh Harriers seen plus the occasional G.W. Egret.

1 Garganey at the back of the scrape this morning, Black-tailed Godwits down to c100 and just 2 Ruff.

Twenty plus Knot on the scrape this morning.

200 plus Blk Tld G'Wits and 45 Knot on the scrape mid morning (1030) all were removed as I passed by again at mid day by Peregrine that tried but failed to connect with the alarmed waders as they lifted off. They disappeared in a S.W. direction and hadn't returned when I left at 1230.

150 Blk Wits;35 Knot and 3 Ruff present on the scrape between 0900 and 1145 today, until all were seen from Noah's hide heading off hurriedly S.W. high! No idea what moved them today. No sign of any returning (at least until 1500hrs) when I left.

No waders seen this morning but an interesting interaction between a Grey Heron and a Bittern on the bank of the scrape. The Heron seemed to object to the proximity of the Bittern and kept lunging at it until the Bittern finally gave way and flew to the reeds at the back. A surprise sighting was a flock of 3 Goosanders that flew east along the drain at approx 10.30 and several butterflies on the wing including a Clouded Yellow.