Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Towntree Nature Garden. Martock

The fields on the left of the approach road to the reserve which have taken on the look of semi desert produced an interesting list of birds this morning. Along with Alan Pimbley we observed : 16 Wheatear, 2 Whinchat, 5 Yellowhammers,2 Reedbunting,10 Meadow Pipits and a fly over Yellow Wagtail. On the reserve a flock of 50+ Meadow Pipits,Chiffchaffs all over,but did'nt see a Willow Warbler,2 SpottedFlycatchers,6 Widgeon first for the year,50+Teal and 200+ Mallard.
Swallows have had a good year on the reserve and young birds had been seen leaving the nest this morning.
JR.

Re: Towntree Nature Garden. Martock

Wheatears still passing through at least 6 seen yesterday morning along with 15+ Yellowhammers, 50+ MeadowPipits and 5 Skylarks on the approach road to Towntree.
On the reserve Chiffchaffs everywhere some in full song ,8 Mistle thrush the first this autumn along with an influx of Blackbirds and Robins .On the lake 50+Teal, 2 Gadwall, 1 female Shovelor and at least 2 WaterRail calling. I tried to count the Swallows on the wires,120+ mostly juvs but they kept moving,I expect they will have left before I visit next week.
JR.

Your expectations for the exit of swallows was on the ball, John. None at all late morning today.

The 'desert' half way down Town Tree Lane is beginning to green up. Only one wheatear to be seen but we now have a pair of stonechats.

Wildfowl numbers have increased since my last visit Teal have doubled with over 100,Widgeon 30, Shovelor 3, Gadwall 8, Mallard 50+, also on the Lagoon 14 Little Egrets and 2 WaterRail calling. Still a few Chiffchaffs around the reserve and overhead MeadowPipits and Skylarks could be heard, 2 Cormorants overhead made the morning, hav'nt seen one on the reserve for at least 3 months, a nice male Kestrel a couple of Buzzards the pair of Stonechats and 15+ Yellowhammers on the lane leading out of the reserve finished of the morning.
JR.

Winter is on it's way as witness 6 redwing on the reserve today, the first we have seen.
Town Tree Lane yielded up good numbers of meadow pipits, yellowhammers and skylarks. Otherwise the overall picture on the was much as reported by John Rickards on 16th October with the welcome addition of a peregrine falcon and a sparrowhawk.