Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey brought up all the starlings before heading south over Yeovil Openspace. Caught my eye as being quite large with a grey back. First thought peregrine, but again seemed too big. As it flew closer, I was suspecting Goshawk. Managed a picture, though it was silhouetted:

(sorry for such poor quality)

Looking at the books once back home, my bird did have a pretty protuding neck in flight (at some times, more so than is shown in the picture), but I'm still not 100% about the id.

Otherwise, not a bad afternoons birding for my local patch. Migrant numbers still picking up with 1 garden warbler along with 1 chiffchaff, about 6 or 7 willow warblers, 1 goldcrest, 1 meadow pipit and 1 sand martin over, odly no blackcaps though.

Re: Bird of Prey

Oliver,
Almost certainly a female Sparrowhawk IMHO. This fits Sparrowhawk behaviour as they are quite partial to a Starling. The photo is classic hawk silhouette – rounded wings and long tail – definitely not a falcon!
Goshawk - very, very, very unlikely!

Ok, thanks Gerry!

Hi Oliver

I live near Yeovil and was wondering whether you could tell me where Yeovil Openspace is?

I see you have referred to it in several posts and was just interested to know where/what area it refers to? I have a keen birder friend who lives at Larkhill and we would be be keen to find out, thanks in advance.

Best wishes & good birding, Adam Gale

P.S. Agree with Gerry, Sparrowhawk. Have seen Peregrine with some regularity over Yeovil though, esp in winter months, so always worth keeping your eyes on the skies.

It's an area of scrubland with a large field alongside a stream. Can't miss it of you walk between abbey manor and the highest point on larkhill road. I've had several good suburban records here; lesser whitethroat, males of redstart and pied fly, Siskin and linnet flocks, even singing reed warbler once. This time of year, the best spot is the elderberry bush on the opposite side of the stream, as an early morning visit should produce feeding warblers.

Great, thanks Oliver.

Will hopefully get the chance to check it out sometime.

Popped to Yeovil Openspace this morning, many thanks again Oliver for details of the location.

Presumably found the right place, nice little gem of spot, good mix of habitats with plenty of bramble, scrub, mixed hedgerow and smatter of more mature trees, with line of willows along stream edge a bit of a bonus. No wonder Oliver has had some good suburban migrant passerine records here.

Pleasant short walk this morning produced numerous chiffs flitting around most of the shrubby areas, 2-3 willow warblers, male blackcap, some showy goldcrests, all accompanied with the typical summer/ autumn contrast with house martins overhead and small groups of fly over mipits.

Great little spot with lots of potential, just hope I can find the time for the odd visit.

A 2 hour watch this morning also produced 3 mistle thrush, the first jay here of the autumn, as well as 2 each of flyover bullfinch and grey wagtail.