Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Osprey - SBR

Osprey reported on birdguides at Sutton Bingham Res 0800 hrs today, but no sign this afternoon.

Re: Osprey - SBR

Osprey present this afternoon in dead tree opposite hide site,BTO ring on right leg.

Where is the hide at SBR ?

Coming from Yeovil and the A37 follow the road that runs the length of SBR heading south, after passing the canoe club on the left continue for about 1/2 mile and there is an obvious pull in on the left with a small gate. Park here and go through the gate to view the reservoir. The dead tree, which is a favoured Osprey perch for the passage birds that often visit SBR, is opposite the "hide"...which is now just a square of concrete!

No sign at either end of the resivoir this evening from 1845-1930.

Not present Saturday morning between 9 and 10am either

Reported again at 1628hrs today. Perhaps a second bird? The recent easterlies have been bringing a lot of ospreys along the south coast, so I doubt this one will hang around as long.

A juv Osprey was at the north end of the reservoir yesterday (Sep 4th) at 2.00pm. It caught a fish and landed in a tree to eat it. Viewable looking east from the picnic area or more distantly from the first causeway.

Juv Osprey present at 1645,had half a dozen attempts at catching a fish without any luck.Sat in a tree for a bit allowing me to see a ring on the birds left leg, I only had a thirty lens but I could see some of the numbers 14 cut into the ring which looked black making the numbers stand out.
JR.

Hi John. Scottish Ospreys are ringed with 2 digits on a black ring it might be worth dropping an e mail to the Highland ringing project (Roy Dennis)
roydennis@aol.com Regards, Alan.

Osprey still hanging around in the usual areas late this afternoon/early evening. One unsuccessful fishing attempt but showed really well in lovely evening sunshine from near the picnic area.

Hi Alan thanks for the info sorry for the late posting Osprey still present saturday evening but even with a zoom lens we could'nt see the ring due to the position of the feet being being covered in feather,will try again tomorrow
Thanks again .JR.

Yet another birdguides report this evening! (1620 hrs)

Osprey still present this morning.
JR.