Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Overland skuas

News from Lincolnshire says that there are skuas on their way to us overland today (not surprising given the winds out east). Minehead this afternoon?

Re: Overland skuas

Worked out fairly well - a watch off Minehead 1340-1500 produced:

Long-tailed Skua - 1 adult west at 1345
Arctic Skua - total of 7 (5 dark phase, 2 light phase)- 3 singles (1 light) in 5 minutes after the Long-tailed, a single and a two at around 1435, and the last single (a light phase adult)at 1453.

I probably missed the start of the window, so who knows what went by in the hour or so before I sat down to watch - ideally this time of year you need to be there and waiting from midday onwards.

I saw the exact same numbers a few weeks back over titchwell, Norfolk. Perhaps the same birds headed west?

With the long run of easterlies recently, no doubt there have been some days when skuas would have been moving overland, but I have not been available to look.

News this evening of skuas passing inland again at Sutton Bridge in Lincolnshire (one Long-tailed, 3 Pomarines and 6 Greats mentioned), so they're definitely on their way tonight. Worth a punt looking off Minehead tomorrow.