Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nightjar – field meeting

Weather permitting, I propose to run a field meeting next Thursday June 19th to hopefully hear and see Nightjars. I did a trial-run yesterday and was successful in hearing and seeing 3 birds, including at least one male, at 10:00pm.
The site is Stock Hill forestry on the Mendips, north of Wells. From Wells, take A39 NE to traffic lights at Green Ore, where left on B3135 towards Cheddar, then first left at X-roads by Miners Arms, and Stock Hill car park is on left after 1k (ST548513).

Access to the site would normally mean walking someway from the car park along a road that is banked and has no pavement, and is used by fast moving traffic. For pedestrian safety, I intend to car-share, if necessary, back-and-forth from the car park to a small lay-by with room for 4 or 5 cars, so be prepared to do this. Unfortunately due to its situation, you should expect to be bothered by tiny, small flies that can bite, so ladies do not use hair lacquer which attracts them, rather wear a head-scarf or a hat, the latter also applying to men. Mosi-repellent doesn’t seem to have much effect, but you could give it a try.

Note: I will check the weather 2 days previously and then post the go-ahead, or not, and also the meeting time.

Jeff Hazell (Leader)

Re: Nightjar – field meeting

The BBC weather forecast for Wells looks OK for Thursday late evening, June 19th: mainly cloudy with some sun (a chance of a light shower mid-afternoon) and around 18C with a 8mph northerly breeze. Sunset is at 21:29 hrs.

Meet in Stock Hill car park at 21:00 (9:00 pm), which should give us ample time to move to the site, where hopefully the first churring should be heard at around 21:45 hrs.

Jeff Hazell.

Since I recognised the location from Jeff's description, and am unable to come on Thursday, I went up to Stockhill this evening, where I met up with a couple who had seen Nightjar last year at the same spot. We took up a good viewing position at about 9.30 but by 10.15 nothing had been seen or heard. By then it was getting almost too dark to see the path and I had itches on all exposed parts! So I came home. Next time I will take a torch, and I do recommend this to anyone who is planning to attend Thursday's meeting.

Brian,
Seems that you went to the site within the plantation, that was well frequented until last year, when I also drew a blank there. I now have another site, which is where I will be leading those interested. Friends of mine heard and saw three here on Monday last, late evening. A torch will hardly be necessary, perhaps only around the car park on leaving.

Jeff.

Thanks for the guidance Jeff. Actually I did not go into the Plantation, where the trees have grown too tall for Nighttjars. I was guided to the other side of the road just niorth of the weed covered pool looking up towards the lone tree! which is apparently where they were seen last year. For that area after 10.00 pm a torch is highly desirable. Hope the field trip tomorrow is a success. I shall be wishing I was with you. Brian

Not sure if you received my message Brian but we waited a while after you left on Tuesday and heard several birds churning at about 10.30 but didn't see any.
David

did a nightjar survey last night near dunster. Heard 3 males churring at the same time. Numerous females flying about. Saw then very close with typical display flight.

Yesterday's late evening meeting at Stock Hill was a slightly better result than England's; I really should have picked another date! The seven of us heard two, maybe 3, churring males and had a flight view of a female, and the biters weren't too bad. Interestingly, we also saw 2 Noctule Bats in flight.

Jeff Hazell.