Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hobbies at Shapwick/Ham Wall

Its around this time of year that large numbers of Hobbies gather in the Shapwick and Ham Wall areas as they return for the summer before dispersing around the country. Does anyone know if they have started to gather yet?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Hobbies at Shapwick/Ham Wall

There has been a slow but steady stream of Hobbys through the levels for 4 weeks now but as yet I am not aware of any high counts. I would think that the main passage is already past but you never know.

Five hobbys over Westhay yesterday (15th) afternoon.

Cuckoos seen and heard , possibly three, plus pair marsh harriers, bittern (s) calling, lots of noisy warblers, all the usual species. Great crested grebe with two very young chicks on her back, on the first pond on left.

Hi Simon,

I observed 23-25 Hobbies at these two sites on 3 May 2014 and 12-15 falcons the day before. Details here (or via the website link at the bottom):

http://pub13.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=1065729998&frmid=14&msgid=916322&cmd=show

I haven't visited since but gather the weather hasn't been particularly ideal, except perhaps for the last couple of days.

The weather forecast looks perfect for tomorrow (Saturday) and might be the last opportunity this season for record numbers. Some falcons may well already have moved on through.

Good luck to you (or anyone else) who is able to visit tomorrow. It would be great to hear reports, particularly if anyone has visited in the last couple of days.

Best regards,

Nick

I spent 3 hours at Noah's Lake on Wednesday and saw just one Hobby. Nicks count of 23 is the highest I have seen reported and even this good number is well down on some recent years when 50+ have been seen.

I was at Shapwick on Weds. I saw hobbies several times, max 5 at once, but total of 11, although some could obviously be the same bird seen twice. Had a great view of one which circled low in front of and then straight over the viewing platform behind Noah's hide.

In the Westhay area this afternoon, 1 hobby, 1 m marsh harrier, 1 cuckoo, 1 kingfisher, 1 bittern heard booming.

14 Hobbies over Noah`s, early afternoon, Tuesday 13th.

Great record of c26 Hobbies at Exminster Marshes, Devon earlier today.

Details here:

http://www.devonbirds.org/news/bird_news/devon_bird_sightings?blogEntry=5642

Or please follow the website link at the bottom.

Some likely to head over Somerset!

NPW

Thank you all for your helpful information and advice. Hopefully there is still a chance of a good gathering today and tomorrow.