Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Swift nest boxes

Just in case anyone is interested in getting some Swift nest boxes up, I’ve stolen the text below from Robert Kelsh,
Andy.

…I had v rapid success with two when I lived in Westwood - they were inspected by local juveniles in the autumn and then occupied the next year!

Design is v simple: c. 12W x 6H x 6D inches with a small (1.25 x 3 inch) hole at the bottom as an entrance. Box should be painted white to limit overheating, with entrance in a position away from prevailing wind/rain. Also should be on a high wall with a long clear view for them to drop out of and gain speed (to gain lift) - under eaves of a standard two story house, facing out over quiet residential road worked well for us.

…there is a short piece in this month’s BB - and it includes a photo of an 'alternative' design (actually v similar to the one I outlined).

...but be patient, or use a tape to attract potential nesters to the area of the nest box…

Re: Swift nest boxes

Many thanks, Andy, and good to meet you at Ham Wall. Will now take a closer look at accommodating Swifts.

Re: Swift nest boxes

Great to meet you too, David - best of luck with those Swifts