Charterhouse

Daybreak walk at Charterhouse. Highlights being;

5+ Redstarts, only 1 Female seen but good views of a couple of the Males
15+ Wheatears
4+ Common whitethroat
1 Tree Pipit
3+ Meadow Pipits

Re: Charterhouse

John, when you say Charterhouse, do you actually mean the main track from just south of there through Velvet Bottom NR leading to Black Rock?

A singing Tree Pipit at Priddy Mineries this morning, but no sign of any Common Redstarts here.

Jeff after we saw you we did hear one Redstart singing in Velvet Bottom about 200m beyond the concrete standing. Also 3 Wheatear.

Hi Jeff,

We parked near the Centre close to the Church just outside of Charterhouse and then walked South down the road to pick up the footpath which heads down through to Velvet Bottom.

I think last year we may have had 7 Redstarts in the same area on one visit.

If anyone can recall I once lead a field trip here.

Velvet Bottom was as far as we ventured today.

I hope that this helps.

If not, please drop me a PM if you require further information.

Best Wishes

John

22-Apr-14
Obviously picked the wrong morning – sunshine & showers, mostly the latter – for today’s visit and I feel a bit guilty for taking my wife Kay (on her walking stick) all the way through Velvet Bottom until the gate at the start of Black Rock and back! We kept mostly to the main path (rough passage in places), but I did venture off and explored along the suitable looking fence-line and the trees backing it, but no luck at all! All we saw & heard of any interest was 2 Ravens, a Mistle Thrush, male Kestrel, a Jay, a male Bullfinch and a few House Martins.

Out of county but relevant to the above, I visited Portland Bill yesterday where the numbers of Wheatear, Redstart and many other migrants were building to highs for the year so plenty still arriving. There must have been 200 plus Wheatear on top fields. Also Little and Arctic Tern at Ferrybridge and 6 Merganser still present there.

Heard 3 redstarts and great view of male at Velvet Bottom at 6.30 this morning.