Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Red Kite - Quantock Hills - 19 April 2014

An adult Red Kite moved slowly along the SE slopes of the Quantock Hills at noon today. It was mobbed by a Common Buzzard and then soared up with three other Buzzards before gradually moving away NE. Also, 5-6+ Sparrowhawk soaring in the area, including one pair displaying, and 18+ Common Buzzard kettling in groups of up to 7 hawks. Swallows and a few House Martins trickling though Northwards. At least 3 Raven and 4 Stock Dove.

NPW

Re: Red Kite - Quantock Hills - 19 April 2014

22 Buzzards in a thermal on Good Friday between Kingsbury and Coat.

Great record Cookie. It's always worth looking closely at such large congregations because they can often attract more unusual raptor species.

Keep watching the skies,

Happy Easter,

Nick

Like Honey Buzzard? I've not seen one before so shall look closer at large numbers of buzzards next time. Although I've not had 22 before!

Hi Lee,

Yes, except that it's still a bit too early for Honey Buzzard which usually begin arriving around the second week in May. But currently you can look out for Peregrine, Red Kite, Marsh Harrier and Osprey. Sparrowhawk too regularly join in these kettles but they often soar near the top of the stack or above, so you need to scan high (and then higher still). Hen Harrier, Montagu's Harrier and Goshawk are also possible but unlikely.

Good skywatching,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your knowledgable information. So far, ive been lucky enough to see all mentioned this year, apart from Montagu's and the Honey Buzzard. We have several exciting trips planned in the coming month so hopefully I'll be lucky.
Great day Friday at ham wall as 5 buzzards were soaring very high with a sparrow hawk amongst them. Then 3 hobbies flew through minutes later.

I'll keep gazing!,
Lee.

Hello Lee,

Some excellent observations. Three Hobbies on 18 April is impressive - well done! Incidentally, Ham Wall/Shapwick Heath is one of the best places I know to consistently see high level stoop hunting by Sparrowhawk, so you're well placed to see some spectacular flights in future.

Best wishes,

Nick