Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
And then there were six ...

Steart Marshes - 9 April 2014

2 Peregrine - Located an immature female perched low on a favourite isolated tree trunk. Some 30 minutes later she flew off fast directly towards my watchpoint. She rose up and intercepted a group of 7 Wood Pigeons flying quite low almost directly overhead.

The group scattered and the falcon locked on to one bird and pursued it. She quickly caught up and began repeatedly stooping at the Pigeon in a seemingly rather leisurely fashion.

The initial attempts were easily dodged by the intended victim. However, contact was made on the fifth stoop, illustrated by a puff of whitish feathers being whisked away by the stiff breeze.

Attack number six was evaded, just, but the falcon clearly had the upper talon. She turned, swept in again low, rose up from underneath and bound to the Pigeon with apparent ease. The falcon sailed down carrying her prize, landed on the grassy meadow and began to feed.

Not the most spectacular hunt but I was granted a close grandstand view of the whole episode, including perfect lighting from the sun behind me.

Shortly afterwards, an adult male appeared and flew upstream, quite high above the River Parrett.

8 Common Buzzard

Also:

20+ Barn Swallow
15+ Shelduck
8+ Skylark
4+ Shoveler
2 Sand Martin
2 Little Egret
1 Chiffchaff

NPW