Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Haddon Hill - April 9th

Good numbers of Willow Warblers had arrived back on Haddon Hill this morning. On a walk around the edge of the hill there were 26 singing males which represents about 70% of the usual breeding population in this area. Also 13 Chiffchaffs and the first Pied Flycatcher and Tree Pipit back on territory but only three Blackcaps and no Redstarts yet.

Re: Haddon Hill - April 9th

Interesting Brian i did Porlock Wier Horner cloutsham yesterday 12 singing chiffs but not a single willow warbler heard yet around here and only 3 blackcaps so far nice few swallows in but have yet to see a wheatear on Exmoor .also yesterday no sign of shrike on Room Hill must have on .Today midmorning 9th 2 sandwich terns of Porlock Wier heading down channel

I have seen several Wheatears on Exmoor numerous ones last Saturday on the Chains wall and one yesterday on Almsworthy Common.

First heard a Willow Warbler here on 30th March. Since 1st April 14+ have passed through the garden at Five Bells with 5 male Blackcaps and 5 Chiffchaffs.
On 30th March a flock of 20 Crossbills flew North overhead.
Did see 6 Water Pipits around flood water behind Dunster Beach on 1st April.

Blackcaps seem to be the most common warbler on the levels at the moment with great competition for territory judging by the frequency of song in Shapwick Heath, Ham Wall and surrounding areas. Chiff Chaff and Willow Warblers are also present in good numbers. I heard just one Reed Warbler in Shapwick Heath yesterday but others have also reported Sedge Warblers. No sign of Whitethroat yet.