Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ham Wall

Between 0600 and 1030hrs there was a big fall of Sand Martins, the first few birds appearing at about 0700hrs with numbers rapidly increasing until I would guesstimate there were around 300 – 400 all feeding low down and in a relatively small area at the south end of the reserve. They then rose higher and later dispersed all over the reserve.
A Ringtail Hen Harrier quartered across the south side at about 0730hrs, disappearing towards Shapwick, also a very dark cream headed Marsh Harrier, (probably one of last years Juveniles) was hunting in front of VP2 at about 10pm.
All three male Garganey were together in Walton Marsh as well as Teal, Tufties and a Snipe. In front of VP2 were quite a few Shoveler, Widgeon, Teal, Lapwing, Snipe and a couple of Black Tailed Godwits

Re: Ham Wall

Single male garganey on the right of the path just before the 1st viewing platform, flew in at around 2:30pm and was still there at 4:15 when I left. Also good numbers of chiffchaff, redpoll and sand martin as well as a kingfisher flying up and down the channel between the viewing platforms.

Another male garganey on Meare Heath pool at the same time as the one at Walton this afternoon.

A bitterly cold early morning visit to view the Garganys ,two birds were feeding when I arrived soon to be joined by a third, a brief moment of sunlight gave a photo opportunity, very smart birds, a Sparrow Hawk flew past, two Bitterns one dropping into the reed bed close by it then immediately vanished, oddly the ducks had reacted giving warning of its approach but soon carried on feeding, one G-c-Grebe,one Little Egret and a few Sand martins several Teal and one Gadwall drake.Left at 9-00 am.Shivering!!

24-03-2014 Another sunny and frosty start to my visit to Ham Wall,three Cetti's Warbler were heard as I passed along the track, only one Garganey was seen in front of no 3 hide along with Teal, Tufted Ducks,Mallard and a G-c-Grebe,a single Snipe was disturbed by a Canada Goose and a Bittern passed, from the causeway hide a male Beared Tit was seen.I decided to make a visit to Daggs Drove before returning home, a hundred or so Sand Martins were skimming the water and then resting in the reeds, one Bittern flew past the Male Marsh Harrier sent a trespassing Crow about its business in a fine manner. I have included a short video of the Garganey on my website for anyone who has not seen this bird.