Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Garganey

two male garganey at hamwall this morning ,on the right as you walk down the track just before the 1st viewing platform.....
Also one male at catcott lows this afternoon

Re: Garganey

The drake Garganey was still showing well fairly close to the hide at Catcott at 5:30pm. Also a Ring-tailed Hen Harrier flew along the back of the reserve.

A couple of photos of the drake Garganey at Catcott Lows this early-afternoon, now on my website.

Also 15 Black-tailed Godwits present.

Garganey was showing well today at Catcott. Along with some Black Tailed Godwits. Kingfisher at The Sheppey Inn :-)

No sign of Garganey either at Ham Wall or Shapwick Heath this morning but after an hour at Catcott I saw the reported drake quite close to the hide, thanks to Sandra P. who woke me from my dozy state to point out that it was just in front! The only other waders were a few scattered Snipe.

Both Garganey showing at 1.30 from the screen hide at Ham Wall. Watched them for about 5 minutes before they disappeared into the reeds.

Two male Garganey feeding in front of the hide at Catcott between 09.15 and 10.30. Also an immature Peregrine sat around watching the ducks, but flew off at 10.20

For those of you who did not manage to catch this great duck at Catcott ,filmed on a very windy day
http://youtu.be/5gWJYivmwNo

Three Drake Garganey tight together on Walton West this morning just south of the railway line plus two together at Catcott Lows at 1330 this afternoon still in view at 1530 when I left,just One Sand Martin heading into the wind at 1400hrs

Re: Garganey plus a Merlin!

2 Drakes still present on Catcott this morning at 1000hrs.

19-Mar-14
A much closer photo of one of two drake Garganey on Walton Heath (Ham Wall RSPB) this afternoon - see my website.

Apparently, the 3rd drake was then in front of the 2nd viewing platform.

As Alan A said in the Sand Martin thread the three male Garganey were loafing on the first Island on Walton Heath this morning at around 10am. At about 1pm two were showing well in front of the Tor View hide on Waltons Central Division where a Water Rail was also giving good views.

Garganey fest on Thursday. 3 at Catcott between 1230 and 1400 and another 3 at Walton Heath shortly after, all drakes. Large southward passage of sand martins (100+) over Catcott where there were also about 30 blackwits, most in summer plumage. Only highlight at Greylake earlier were a couple of redshank.

Single male Garganey at the back of the second lagoon on Meare Heath this morning