Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Car break-ins at Canada Farm

Two cars broken into at Canada Farm today (Saturday 8 March), one of them mine. {expletive self-censored}. The warden's advice is to park at the visitor centre and walk down to CF which is a pain but probably good advice.

Re: Car break-ins at Canada Farm

Cycling along the road past the entrance to Canada Farm, I notice that there is now a permissive path emerging on the east side of the road just a short distance to the south. Whilst this new path is not marked on the Shapwick NNR leaflet as shown on the NNR website, it must connect with the path to Decoy Hide. This would enable one to park at the visitor centre or main reserve entrance and enjoy a pleasant off-road walk to Canada Farm.
I have no idea of the practicality but a path north from the Canada Farm hide to the river bank, would complete a useful circuit.

Yes, I spent some time talking to Simon Clarke who is the senior warden for the reserve, and he explained that we are encouraged to use the new path which does indeed link up with the route to Decoy. For those who haven't seen it, it emerges just yards from the beginning of Canada Farm Drove. Obviously that will take longer than walking down the road but it'll be much more pleasant.

I'm not sure how much discussion the moderators will accept in this off-topic thread, but thanks for letting it remain.

Unfortunately as a CSI I spend much of my time looking at cars that have been broken into. There are things that can be done to try and stop it happening.
Most importantly leave NOTHING of ANY value inside the vehicle, they will break in just for the 2 or 3 pound coins in the ashtray for car parking, and covering items with a coat or pushing it under the seat doesn't work.
If you use satnav don't leave the mounting on the screen, even the mark left by the mounting sucker will tempt them, as most people leave their satnav in the car.
Personally I leave my glove box and other storage compartments open to show they’re empty. If you put valuables in the boot (ladies handbags are a favourite) be aware of anyone who may be watching.
Lastly if the worse does happen, report it to the police, even if nothing of real values gone, if we don't know its happening they'll never be caught !

Good advice Ian and thank you for posting. However this would have happened regardless of whether there was anything concealed in the locked boot of my car and the other victim's.

Excellent news for all of us - the guy who did this has been caught. I won't give any more detail here (email me if you want to discuss) but it is 100% certain that the police have the person who broke into my car, and he has admitted to a very long list of similar offences. Due to "offending history" he has been remanded in custody.

Obviously it is still necessary to be sensible when leaving cars in secluded places, but it seems we can return to normal.

That's excellent news - thanks for letting us know.