Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Iceland Gull - Wimbleball

A juv/1st winter Iceland gull came into roost at 17.10 this evening viewed from the sailing club side of Wimbleball lake,i will put my hands up and say i wouldnt be able to tell if it would be a Kumliens .
Ealier at Cow moor Bay the Ring-Necked Duck was present for its 5th consecutive week ,Bessom bridge end at Hurscombe reserve were 5 Goldeneye

Re: Iceland Gull - Wimbleball

Iceland gull still there in a large mixed flock of gulls this afternoon at Bessom bridge end, at about 15.20 all took off towards the sailing club . Ringneck duck still there, but no Goldeneye, 9 pochard though

The 1w Iceland Gull again at Wimbleball Lake from Bessom Bridge this afternoon from 14:40 to 15:15 when it flew off back towards the fields, gulls were coming and going all the time.
The drake Ring-necked still present at the far end of Cowmoor Bay.
Earlier this morning a Great Northern Diver flew up-Channel off Hurlstone Point otherwise fairly quiet with just 12 Kittiwakes and a Fulmar of note. A Guillemot flew by close in only to be attacked by two juv GBb Gulls which forced it down onto the water then it spent the next 15 mins avoiding them by diving everytime they got close.

Wimbleball Gull Roost 1640-1800 at the sailing club side saw
2 1st winter Iceland gulls 1 Adult Glaucous and a 1st or 2nd winter Glaucous Gull

After last nights Gull roost it was nice to be joined by some of Somersets Gull enthusiast and the White Wingers were not to let us down with tonights roost containing
1st winter Kumliens
2- 1st winter Icelands
1st winter Glaucous
Adult Glaucous
an amazing 5 White Winger roost at Wimbleball with the Kumliens being a 2nd record for Somerset, a most enjoyable evening in good company.
The Ring-neck Duck was also seen earlier in the evening

2 Glaucous Gull including an adult and 2 possibly 3 Iceland Gull
amongst upward of a 1000 gull in the roost tonight,further towards
Cow Moor Bay this evening and gulls still arriving as we left

27-Feb-14
Adult Glaucous Gull and 2 1stW Iceland Gulls in the Wimbleball Lake roost this evening between 16:45 and 17:45 hrs. More gulls arriving when we left; no sign of the R-n Duck among the 22 Tufted Duck in the first bay between Bessom Bridge and the sailing club, but 5 Goldeneye present.

This evenings gull roost included 2 juv Iceland gulls the juv Glaucious and a diffrent juv Iceland was seen earlier from Bessom Bridge hope all attending birders have now had time to thaw out

At least two juv Iceland Gulls yesterday afternoon, no sign of the Glaucous Gull.

Three juvenile Iceland Gulls in the roost again this evening

As with last nights roost the 3 juv Iceland gulls came in and the juv Glaucous gull was reported seen between 15.00-15.30 but then seemed to dissapear

Has the R N Duck been seen recently, having recovered from the Moorland flooding I'm hoping to get out this weekend, Great Grey Shrike, R N Duck & R Pipit being my targets, would welcome any updates please

Yesterdays Gull Roost (Sunday)in the company of Paul Jennings and Julian Thomas saw a 2nd winter Iceland, 2nd winter Yellow-Legged and a 1st winter Glaucous Gull also a Common Sandpiper a pair of Goldeneye and 4 Goosander

2 Juv Iceland gulls came into roost tonight with the number of Gulls seem to be droping off slightly

One juvenile Iceland Gull in amongst a small number of gulls at Wimbleball Lake this morning. Also two Sand Martins flew through.