Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bramblings

At least 55 Bramblings counted at Alfreds Tower. We estimate that there were probably in excess of 100 birds present but impossible to count them all at any one time.

Just inside the Somerset border!

Re: Bramblings

3-Feb-14
What a difference a day makes! This morning Kay and I searched all the roadside birches between Alfred’s Tower and the car park, and some of the birch woodland behind the tower, without any luck. Then, having popped over the border into Wiltshire to see a nice flock of Tree Sparrows near Stourhead, on our return we saw a small flock of 30 Chaffinches along the verge immediately east of the car park, and with them were two Bramblings – hoorah!

Must get up to Alfred's Tower to look for the Bramblings, but where was the flock of Tree Sparrows Jeff? I know it's Wiltshire, but I used to watch a flock regularly, between Stourhead & Whitesheet Hill, but they haven't been seen for years. Where did you find them please? It would be great to get them as well.

Had a trip out today to Gasper, where we saw a Goosander. Then we went on to Kilmington Common. Although the weather was not very good, we managed to see a flock of Linnets, several Yellowhammers and Tree Sparrows. On the way home back past Alfreds Tower there was a large flock of mainly Bramblings with some Chaffinches. They were feeding on the roadside in the beechmast, at around 3 o'clock.

Large flock of mixed chaffinch and brambling still feeding on the roadside near Alfred's Tower this afternoon