Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Westhay

Sad to report that we had our car broken into this afternoon at Westhay (main car park). A lot of damage but fortunately not too much taken.

Beware everyone.

Even worse we couldn't find any Whooper Swans!

Re: Westhay

Yesterday 22/01/2014 Pale fronted Buzzard scratching for worms in poughfield opposite Westhay entrance to London Drove.20 Little Egrets west of Blakeway one Grey Wagtail Allermoor Drove one flighty Kestrel Tealham Moor, Whoopers still present.

1 Whooper just outside Westhay reserve. Posed nicely for the camera!

Westhay Moor one Buzzard. two at Tadham moor and one G S Woodpecker also one male Kestrel .Photos of Buzzard on website.

27-Jan-14
The single adult Whooper Swan still present with Mutes this early PM. On large grassy field to south of Westhay Moor Drove (road), east of Westhay Moor Reserve car park.

A grandstand view this morning of a Sparrow Hawk as it came in fast and very low as I was watching the Buzzard at only 35 feet it passed very low over the Buzzard, did the Sparrow Hawk think discretion to be the better part of valor ? however it continued on its way the Buzzard took no notice and calmly enjoyed its breakfast of worms.No I did not capture the shot!!!. but I did get some interesting close up shots, soon after a noisy Crow came to pester the Buzzard and sat in the tree at about four feet from the Buzzard it then started to snap of twigs from the tree. I wonder if this was some kind of macho behavior to intimidate the Buzzard?

Re: Westhay and Tadham Moor

Once again Buzzard puts on a good display for the camera, two Kestrels at Tadham Moor and ten little Egrets + a small flock of Fieldfair this morning.