Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Golden Plover at Kings Moor

At lunchtime today there were very large flocks of golden plover and lapwing just across the road from the Greylake reserve entrance. I would not be sure about actual numbers but there must have been well over 1000 of each variety. May even have been several times the number quoted. Not too sure what was causing the upset but they were put up several times, a wonderful site in the low winter occasional spells of sunlight

Re: Golden Plover at Kings Moor

Hi Brian, I was out photographing this flock last week. They are indeed a wonderful sight, especially when the sunlight catches them. When I saw them they were on the Greylake site of the road, so I wonder if they have moved over to the other side due to the extensive flooding in the area.

Golden plover still there, with large numbers of lapwing, but dispersed into several smaller groups now that there's a bit more solid ground to stand on - all on Kingsmoor side of the road. Nice views of reed buntings on the table in the Greylake car park; also fieldfares and redwings in the field nearby.

These references are to Kings Sedge Moor and NOT Kings Moor which Long Sutton - Long Load area.

Hi thanks I checked on the map to clarify - it looks like that part of Kings Sedgemoor is actually called Huish Moor, but at any rate we are all talking about the E side of Greylake Bridge!

Was looking at the large numbers of Waders to the east of Greylake Bridge on Sunday Morning. There must have been in excess of 3000 Golden Plover as managed to count over 2000 on the ground with large flocks still in the air. Also about 2000 lapwing. Approximately 160 dunlin mixed in with the flocks.

One of the Lapwing was a stunning Leucistic version almost totally white when viewed at distance through the scope, but with a few brown smudges.

Also thousands of duck on the flooded fields to the south of the drain. Was a lovely sight in the Sunshine.

Will