Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cheddar Res

Long Tailed Duck present again this morning, feeding close to the Cheddar tower. 2 Red-crested Pochard and 3 Goldeneye. Good numbers of Redwing and a few Fieldfare round the western edge.

Re: Cheddar Res

long tailed duck still near Cheddar tower this morning.

7-Jan-14
A couple of record shots of the Long-tailed Duck on my website, taken just off the Cheddar inlet-tower very late this afternoon.

Long-tailed Duck was at the Cheddar end of the Reservoir as described By Mr Jeff Hazell this morning harassed from time to time by a G-c-Grebe.Photos on website.

Long-tailed Duck close in to the Axbridge entrance at mid-day, but spending most of the time under water. Pair of Red-crested Pochard also still present and at least two Goldeneye

Sunday am: 4 Egyptian Geese, Goldeneye - 2 Male and 1 Female and Red Crested Pochard - 1 Male & 1 Female. Apologies for delay - website was down

14-Jan-14
No sign of any Egyptian Geese this morning, but Long-tailed Duck still - about 150 metres out from the Cheddar inlet-tower; also 2 Red-c Pochard (M&F) near the yacht club.

the geese were there fleetingly it seems, [i missed them!!]another birder there believed they were possibly "visiting" from Portishead as 4 had been sighted there previously the preceding week

Visited this evening as it was getting dark and did a circuit, I couldn't find any of the above mentioned species but there were 7 Goosanders - 3 pairs at the Axbridge end and a lone male 100 yards out from the Cheddar Tower

taking in a rather wet walk along the cycle path, res and lower road around the res, 3 different pairs of Long tail tits, 2 green woodies,, 2 greenfinch 1 visible and one audible, several robin, and i would say in excess of 500 pochard on the res,

Long Tailed Duck present again this morning along with 2 R C Pochard, 480 Pochard and 4 Goldeneye.

Long Tailed Duck and 2 R C Pochard still present this morning.

in fading light this evening seen what i believe to be a pair of goosander m+ f , looking very lovey dovey!!just beyond the caged waterfall going clockwise from the Cheddar tower

Sunday AM single goldeneye and long td present

probably a dozen of mixed sex goosander this late afternoon,and two male and a single female goldeneye, battling a fierce wind and waves up to some 18 inches at times

Long-tailed Duck back again this morning, close in to the Cheddar tower with Pochard. Also 6 Goldeneye and 3 Goosander.

early doors @ 6:30 am, single common sandpiper, calling and flying between boat house and near football pitches

Long Tailed Duck present this morning close in along the southern edge. Also 2 Goldeneye. Good numbers of Meadow Pipit and Pied Wag.

Long tailed Duck still present this morning just left of Cheddar Tower from car park.

two green woody's [saturday am] several meadow pipits this sunday morning,and what seemed to be a little grebe amongst half a dozen or so GC grebes,shrinking totals of Coots and Pochard, and one woody knocking his brains out.audible only ,near the burial ground

Iceland Gull, Long Tailed Duck and Gooseanders on the Reservoir at about 4.30 today.

Long tailed duck came reasonably close at about 5:30. Got some pics in very poor light!

10+ Goosanders