Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Catcott/ Burtle

This afternoon at Catcott I finally got to see the Hen Harrier even managed a photo of a sort !! ,a Merlin made a high speed pass in front of the hide followed soon after by a Sparrow hawk, Peregrine also seen ,one solitary B-T-Godwit could be seen amongst the panicking ducks ,as I left the hide three Roe deer ran across the field adjoining the car park, but perhaps it was the handsome very pale/ white Buzzard sat on a post as I entered the village of Burtle that was the prize of the day. Photos of this handsom bird on my Website.

Re: Catcott/ Burtle

James,
I also saw this pale buzzard. Although I was rushing off to get a spot in the Ashcott car park for the Starlings, I did have to pull over and view this through the bins. Lovely looking buzzard so am please someone managed a photograph of it. Great one too. Decided against putting the Hen Harrier up on the web site then?

Regards,
Lee

On the way for the mornings visit to Catcott, a Kingfisher on Tealham Moor at north drain bridge, plus the resident Buzzard.
Catcott Lows.Highlights.
Two Buzzards.
Three Marsh Harriers two female and the bird with the dark head.
Five B-t-Godwit.
Nine Canada Geese.
No doubt Mr Alan Ashman will give an account for the afternoon.Photos of the dark marsh Harrier showing a white mark to the nape of its head on website.

A few additions to Jim's post this Monday afternoon, 1 Dunlin; 18 Blk Tld G'wits (in total) and a flyover of 30+ Golden Plover. Male Sparrow Hawk flew close and a Juv Marsh Harrier made a valiant attempt to exhaust and drown? a drake Wigeon in the central ditch by continually hovering above it causing it to dive continuously. This went on for a good 15 mins. but the Harrier eventually gave up,it had probably exhausted itself! A pair? of Ravens that have appeared regularly around the reserve were much in evidence again this afternoon giving grief to a Buzzard on the ground at one time.

Hello Alan,

The Harrier/Wigeon battle that you witnessed today was played out yesterday too.

It was like watching an avian chess game.

Regards,

Eian.

Heavy fog/ mist this morning but cleared as the morning progressed. Greylake a Kestrel perched in a low bush in the car park but very little from the hide, returned to Catcott as the mist lifted.
One Black-t- Godwit feeding all morning close to the hide later joined by a Snipe.
Two flocks of 30/40 Golden Plover arrived and were very mobile during the morning.
One Peregrine
One Marsh Harrier.
One raven
More Godwits further to the back of the reserve.
Large numbers of Ducks and Lapwing.
Mr A Ashman will do doubt report the afternoon sightings.
photos of the Godwit when processed.

Only additions to Jim's posting were; 3 Dunlin and a total of 18 Blk tld. G'Wits. Two Ravens crossing the reserve toward the back caused the jittery Lapwings problems and a guestimate when all the flocks present were in the air was somewhere around 2000.

A quick visit to Catcott this morning, noticeably fewer Ducks, Lapwing numbers still high, one lonely Little Grebe. at Tealham Moor three little egrets and a Kingfisher at North drain bridge,at Meare the pale Buzzard posed for the camera until another flew in and drove it off its perch .

Catcott Lows, 17-Dec-13.
The best, of an hour spent in the hide this morning before mid-day, was two flocks of Golden Plover, 30 and c.70. Otherwise 2,000+ Lapwings and the usual ducks; no sign of any raptors.

A passing visit to Catcott but little changed so on to Greylake and was rewarded by a good view of a Merlin making a hunting pass before settling on one of the many posts, it posed for its photo call before flying off, Duck numbers good with several Gadwall present.Three Buzzards were seen, ten Canada Geese enjoying the now flooded fields at Tealham. Merlin pic on website.

The Ring tail was showing well in the brilliant light at Greylake.