Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Starlings

Just an update to say numbers are building nicely at the first reedbed on the right past the little stand of trees at Shapwick Heath.

Short videos of the evening display here and of the morning massed launch here. Both taken in the last few days.

Re: Starlings

This info could be confusing Tim. If you mean from the Ashcott Road car park then the area you refer to is, in fact, Meare Heath. A few disappointed people were looking for the birds near the Shapwick Road end the reserve (ie. Roughet) yesterday evening.

Very sorry, yes I mean park at Ashcott Corner car park, go into the Shapwick Heath reserve and it's the first reed bed on the right past the trees. Apologies to anyone I confused.

I'm interested to know what numbers you are thinking of? I try to visit at weekend morning times. It really is amazing. But am there evenings also. I thought that the c100,00 birds must of doubled (last weekend)

As of tonight performance we recon there is about 250,000+ easily but yet to get the 'official figures'

We estimated up to 500,000 this morning Max. This mornings lift off was incredible. I have visited 4 Saturday mornings in a row now, and the numbers really have increased.
Around 07:30, and urge people to visit at this time. Worth it!

I'm not surprised, i have been urging people to go in the mornings even though i havn't been able to get up there myself due to the bike and the ice :/ I see on the rota that you will be up there tomorrow? I have to attend a guided walk on west sedgemoor tomorrow lunch so will try to be on time.

I have to agree the mass launch on a bright sunny morning is just incredible and worth getting up for.

These two were taken on Nov 10th when the numbers were around 100,000

Mass Launch of 100,000+ Starlings

Mass Launch of 100,000+ Starlings

Incidentally I was at RSPB Greylake this morning when the huge wave of starlings came over followed by a droopy leg Marsh Harrier, which I am sure I have also seen at Shapwick Heath.

And finally I was near Steart last weekend when a large wave of Starlings came over just as the sun came up. No doubt all coming straight from Shapwick Heath, so it just shows how far they spread out.

Very good starling roost tonight at current site at Meare Heath, from 3.40 to about 4.30. About 200 yards west along track from Ashcott Corner. Also Great White Egret, 8 Whoopers and fab views of kingfisher fishing at Noah's...

Most starlings seemed to have relocated this evening to RSPB Ham Wall in the reed bed to the south of the first viewing platform. I got the impression some also landed at Meare Heath but not being able to be in both places at once I can't be sure.

Does anyone know where the starlings are roosting at the moment?
I saw them last weekend in the reedbed behind the first viewing platform. Any updates since then?
Thanks in advance