Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fieldfares

29-Oct-13
Flock of c.50 Fieldfares on Butleigh Moor, early afternoon, and the adult Trumpeter Swan still present, at back of roadside field with several Mutes.

Re: Fieldfares

I have seen small flocks all this week in the Piddle valley where i work( out of county), yet i have yet to see any where i live near cadbury castle, plenty of Redwings here though. I find the distribution of interest.

1-Nov-13
Flock of c.250 milling about over Greylake Reserve this morning, then moved off southwards.

Also pair of adult Peregrines and 4 Stonechats (2 pairs).

Saw a small flock of about 30 birds yesterday near the Hawk & Owl trust car park at shapwick

Fieldfares now in my locality, flying in formations not dissimilar to starlings heading to roost. Flock size 100 plus.

For the last week we have had a flock maybe over a 100 (I am not good at counting a large flock) over Withycombe Common behind Dumbledeer, before that from first sighting this year on October 12th a similar flock of Redwings. Still a few of those amongst the Fieldfares. They are hard at work eating all the berries off the rowans. I do not remember seeing them around in such numbers for so long before.

Had a check at my note in the Canada hide log today - it was the 19th of October when quite a sizeable fieldfare flock flew south over there. They landed in the trees at the far side for a while and then kept heading south. Same day I spied 5 house martins going the same direction.