Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ham Wall

The two Glossy Ibis were present both a.m & p.m today off VP2 but for a change they were very mobile making it easy to find them, if you spent a little time! 4 different Marsh Harriers were seen in the same area 2 juvs one much darker than the other an adult female and an adult male. 5 views of flying Bitterns over a period of 5 hrs.
From the Loxton's blind at 1230'ish 2 Harriers and 2 Peregrines in view at the same time. Peregrines were 1 male and 1 female close together and easily differentiated by size but flying up sun so unable to age them! plus a Sparrow Hawk that flew just over the blind.
Highlight today was a flock of 50+ Fieldfare that eventually passed nearly overhead heading south mid morning. My first sighting of this Autumn!

Re: Ham Wall

Both Glossy Ibises were feeding and flying around at the second viewing platform today. Also lots of Marsh harrier sightings. At one point I had both glossys and a Marsh Harrier in the scope

The two glossy ibis were still present this morning in the area near the 2nd VP, keeping together. Also, peregrine, marsh harrier and buzzards plus bittern and great white egrets.

No glossy Ibis seen today. Generally v. quiet apart from 4 GWEs, a bittern and couple of marsh harriers, but nice to see 3 pintail ducks (all females) from 2VP and increasing wigeon numbers.

No Ibis today, I've not seen them since 25th. Oct! Water levels are such that it's just Duck, Lapwing and Snipe now. Good no.s of Wigeon Teal Shoveller Gadwall and Mallard with a dozen Tufted Duck. 12 sightings of Bittern during 5hrs. with at least two different Marsh Harriers one adult male and one very dark juv?? with no discernable head markings! Small nos. of Snipe (10+) in the air at times with many more partially hidden in the base of the extant vegetation.
An amphibious reed cutter was operating all day today off VP1 and rumour has it that it will shortly move to the area off VP2.

When I saw the 'glossies' on the 28th it was from one of the footpath seats which give a better view around the whole area. Even so they were only visible when flying around together and out of sight on both occasions when they landed behind vegetation. Obviously, they may well have left now but it is also possible that they are just not showing well!