Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sparrow hawk hunting skills

At home i have set up a bird feeding station under the eaves of a pergola framework. It is two meters above the ground away from our cats and the pergola is cloaked in roses and a thick mat of grapevine which provides excellent cover for the visiting bird life. Diligent feeding has paid off and i now have up to thirty house sparrows feeding daily. Yesterday as i was gardening i heard a commotion and looked around to see a sparrow hawk leaving the feeders with a sparrow in her talons. I had hoped the feeding station had enough cover to deter predation from above. This morning just after eight she was back again and i watched her hunt the feeders for the next five minutes. First she circled the grapevine from behind making quick lunges in various quarters. She then flew onto the wall close by and waited. Then she flew under the pergola, swinging on a circular nut feeder before alighting on the grapevine stem,tight against the wall. Again she waited for some time watching every corner of the pergola. Next came several acrobatic flights out from under the pergola, swooping in tight figures of eight to check the top canopy once more. Eventually she was seen off by a passing magpie. When i set up the bird feeders i had no idea what stunning behaviour i might witness.

Re: Sparrow hawk hunting skills

witnessed a Sparrowhawk with its kill just seconds after its capturel of some unfortunate feathered friend...In Wedmore flew across the garden around 11:00 am ,most wonderful sight of natures wicked way, this was thursday of this week

Re: Sparrow hawk hunting skills

This week I have "lost" a goldfinch and a collared dove, second one since August. Worst kill was nearly-mature Greater Spotted Woodie a few years ago.