Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pectoral Sandpiper - Steart

Found a probable juv Pectoral Sandpiper this morning on the new lagoon near Marsh Farm on the Steart development. The id was positively confirmed as correct shortly afterwards by the local expert. It was viewable from the Parrett trail where the pylons cross the river between Southbrook and Northbrook Clyces on the northern bank of the lagoon. It was with 2 Little Stint when found by the local expert.

Re: Pectoral Sandpiper - Steart

Still present today when I looked at 15:30 feeding actively around the shores of the islands with a Curlew Sandpiper. Also 3 Little Stint.

Still present late morning together with 5 Little Stint. The Curlew Sandpiper also appeared shortly after I left.

The Steart peninsular is currently undergoing major earthworks as part of the work to realign the flood defences and create a wetland habitat. A number of birdwatchers were observed trespassing within the construction areas today. These are clearly barriered off and marked with warning notices. The security guards were not very impressed!

Please could anybody planning on visiting to see the Pectoral Sandpiper keep to the public footpaths and observe all signage/barriers associated with the earthworks. The best way to approach is to park in Combwich near to the Anchor Pub and follow the Parrett Trail northwards around Combwich Common and down the river bank towards Steart. Shortly after passing the electricity pylons you will be able to see the lagoon.

Is their presence likely to be dependent upon the state of the tide in the estuary please?

Nigel Banks

I don't think so. I've seen it there over high tide and with the tide going out and coming in. Also, the tidal range at the moment is very small so another reason it shouldn't be an influence. Hope this helps.

Yes it does as this week high tide tends to coincide with forecast heavy rain!

Nigel

Made a visit this morning between about 10.30 and midday but, for a long time, did not see any waders at all. Started to walk further on and, on looking back, saw that two waders had appeared, feeding in front of the largest island. I retraced my steps but, before I got a decent view, both birds flew towards the near bank and were lost to view. They hadn't reappeared before I left. I cannot, in all honesty, say if either was the Pectoral Sandpiper; the only view I had was too distant to be sure what they were.
Later on, the best birds at Stert were three juvenile Little Stints; come to think of it they were pretty much the only birds at Stert between 12.30 and 2 o'clock!

Pectoral sandpiper viewable from Parrett Trail this morning, quietly feeding clockwise around the shore of the borrow pit closest to the River. Joined briefly by a very noisy spotted redshank. Over 150 wigeon, 200+ teal with a few shoveler and pintail, all loafing around towards mouth of new creek system again viewable from Parrett Trail to north of site.

https://twitter.com/WWTSteart

And still there 5:30 to 6:00 pm this eve along the south side - a bit distant.

No sign of the Pectoral Sandpiper or indeed any waders this morning. Checked again this afternoon at 16:30 and only waders located were 6 Lapwing.