Somerset Ornithological Society - Bird News
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OSPREY

osprey fishing over Noahs lake 2.30 this afternoon..sat on usual tree stump in middle of lake with fish

Re: OSPREY

is it still there,news please anyone before i hump the tv camera down

Was still there at 1800 hrs looks set for its usual Bank Holiday Break but who knows

Osprey perched on a dead tree in front of Noels hide,caught a small fish at the far end of the lake at 8.58 this morning.Pictures on my Website.

Osprey still present at 1900 this evening, eating a fish then flying around trying to find a spot to roost without being mobbed by gulls. Settled back on same stump left of hide when I left it around 1930.

Now 2 Ospreys at Noah's Lake - both on view just after midday (per Alan Ashman).

27-Aug-13
Kay and I watched, at mid-day from Noah's Hide, as the perched Osprey took flight then swooped down to dislodge a second Osprey from its hidden perch.

Some photos of both birds on my Website.

1.15pm today, turned from Glossy Ibis and Curlew Sandpiper (Common Sandpiper, Ruff, Greenshank) to see two Ospreys, fresh from Noah's, circling together above Meare Heath scrape, only to be mobbed by what I took to be a Peregrine (having seen one earlier at 2VP) but on reflection believe was a Hobby, which was itself mobbed by a Hobby, then joined by a third Hobby.

Ospreys flew off towards Ham Wall, and the non-moulting bird returned an hour or so later, failing in attempts to fish around the scrape, eventually being ushered back to Noah's by two Carrion Crows. What a place!

Osprey still perched for a good half an hour at Noah's lake from 20:00 ish this evening. Didn't move once!

One Osprey was perched on a dead tree more or less directly in front of Noahs hide for most of the morning.
At 1345hrs I was at Ham wall when a "complete" winged Osprey came in from the South West over Walton Heath and hunted in front of VP 1 making 2 or 3 stoops but failing to catch a fish, it thermalled up for a while and was joined by two Hobbies, it then moved off to the East and should have been viewable by those at VP 2.

Re: OSPREY (Ham Wall)

A full winged Osprey turned up off VP 2 at around 1400 hrs and eventually settled in the dead Birch stand to the N.E.(still there at 1445) it attempted a half hearted stoop driving up just about everything present including the two Spotted Reds who voiced their disapproval of its action, they later dropped out of sight just to the north of the viewable areas.probably 10 Ruff present with at least 2 Greensands and 5 Greenshank. A Yellow Wag put in a couple of brief appearances but was elusive. 4 G.W. Egrets were there together just after mid day.

Re: OSPREY (Ham Wall)

A very good morning for the observer but not so good for the cameraman ,Seven Great-white-Egets flew past Noels hide coming from the far left and passing towards the main track ,Kingfishers very active one juvenile settling to fish in front of the hide giving chance for some video and shots, two Herons made a close pass ,Little Egret fishing along with a pair of Great-crested-Grebes Mr Alan Ashmans stuffed Osprey came to life and made two fishing attempts that failed ,gave a good impersonation of a Kestrel hovering finally perching on the dead tree in front of the Hide ,it later flew off to the far end settling in a dead tree.Coots,and Ducks plentiful and A Marsh Harrier that attempted but failed to chase Ossy of it Perch. Please God let there be light.

I was in Noah's hide V early on the morning of the 28th, and saw an Osprey catch a large fish at 06:40am - as a fisherman I'd say it was in the 4-5lb region, then fly with it to the tree stumps to the left of the hide with the fish still wriggling. When it was dead it started to eat it, and was joined on the next stump by a second Osprey. The second flew off after 20 minutes or so, but the first was still there when I had to leave at 08:15am.

It was definitely 2 Osprey, and I got a few shots in V poor light, at long range, but they are recognisable.

Re: OSPREY Moulting ??

Both, or rather two Ospreys still present today, The Tatty looking Osprey was on Noah's fishing successfully on a couple of occasions this morning, a second 'full' winged bird came over the scrape around 1300 today made an unsuccessful fishing attempt, then cleared off in the direction of Ham Wall.

I have been shown a couple of photos taken by James Gibbs of the tatty looking bird, they show both wings pretty clearly and it looks like the bird is undergoing a moult . I don't think I have ever noticed this before on an Osprey
I saw the bird on Wednesday but only at a distance and could see gaps in both wings. From Jim's pictures it also looks as though this bird has feathers of two different ages in the wings as some look to be darker (blacker) than other feathers (browner) adjacent. If this bird is moulting I am suprised as I thought they would not start dropping and replacing feathers until they arrived in their winter quarters. Hopefully Jim will put a post on showing a link to his site so that others who may be interested can have a look at the pictures!

The photo subject of Mr Alan Ashmans comment can be viewed on my website in the folder RECENT ADDED Taken at 6-55am on a misty morning 27/ 08/ 2013.

Forsman, in his book The Raptors of Europe and the Middle East, referring to adults, says “Moult is practically continuous, with stops for migration periods only (males suspend moult for part of nesting period?). The primary moult is serially descendant, with two to four simultaneous moult waves to each hand. This moult strategy enables the adults to replace the remiges annually and yet retain maximum flight abilities.”

Just-in-case you were not aware of the terminology, hand is used to refer to the outer wing.

The Osprey was still in Noah's Lake this morning. On the scrape, Spotted Redshank, Common Sand, several Ruff and 7 Great white Egrets. One Garganey still there too.

Just to add to Martin's previous post, I arrived at 6:30 this morning to find the car park empty!!! Where was everyone. Anyway on the way to Noah's , 6GWE flew from Noah's direction and dropped into the Lagoon. A lovely sight in the half light and early morning mist. Then onto the hide and it was empty. The Ospery was sitting in the dead trees to the left of the hide. It then flew over to the far side of the lake and took up position in one of green trees (very hard to spot). I thought that it would then go fishing as usual on the far side, but it actually came back to the middle and caught a large fish (at 7:50ish) with it's second attempt, and then landed back on one of the dead trees slightly to the left of the hide. One of the best views, I have ever had over the last few years watching these superb birds from the Noah hide.

On the way back the lagoon looked beautiful with 7GWE , loads of Grey Heron and Little Egrets. With the early sun and mist it was an amazing slight. Bird watching is more than just the birds, it's the whole environment!!!!.

01-Sep-13
Both Ospreys were at Shapwick NNR late morning: the wing-moult bird was perched on Noah's Lake and the full-winged bird flew in from the direction of Ham Wall and spent some time hover-hunting over the back of Meare Heath.

Re: OSPREY (M5!)

Although not strictly in Somerset, while travelling back down the M5 tonight an Osprey was being mobbed by a pair of Buzzards right over the southbound carriageway. This bird was missing one of its tail feathers. I was just north of Junction 13 at the time, so watch out as it continues southwards, it may end up on our patch tomorrow or an day soon!!!

2 ospreys again present this morning on Noah's lake, although only one while I was there. Seen fishing and catching 4 fish, 2 on one dive!
A pic on my flickr page.

Moulty spotting this evening. We saw him eating a fish on that dead tree for 30-40 mins in front of the hide, then took off skimming the water with his feet several times. Perhaps cleaning them? Was really nice watching him fly around for a minute or so.

Good views today at 5pm of one osprey fishing from Noah's hide

Rob Chace
2 ospreys again present this morning on Noah's lake, although only one while I was there. Seen fishing and catching 4 fish, 2 on one dive!
A pic on my flickr page.

Great shot Rob!

Looking closely at your excellent photo, the Osprey seems to be rather skillful at fishing - it's carrying two fish in one talon!

Follow the website link below and you'll see what I mean.

Best regards,

Nick

The "usual" osprey was still present on Noah's this morning. I have yet to see the second bird though.

Nick P. Williams
Rob Chace
A pic on my flickr page.

Great shot Rob!

Looking closely at your excellent photo, the Osprey seems to be rather skillful at fishing - it's carrying two fish in one talon!

Follow the website link below and you'll see what I mean.

Best regards,

Nick

Hi Nick, many thanks. Yes it was seen to catch both fish in one dive!

Osprey was hunting over Noahs this afternoon. Took three attempts to catch a fish. After a successful strike it settled down on the favoured dead tree and devoured its catch (a Roach I think!). Great scope views (thanks to the family who let me have a look!). Osprey then took off again and made another dive but was unsuccessful. Landed on a tree at the back of the lake and was surrounded by Jackdaws.

Also 2 Hobbys. 1 perched on a dead tree for about 10 minutes.

On the way home I managed a bad picture of a Kingfisher. Will upload in a moment!

The moulting osprey was still at Noah's this morning. Up to six hobbies in the area.